1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low BMI and diabetes type 2

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Elenas, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Elenas

Elenas Prediabetes · Active Member

Hello I would like to know if anyone is diagnosed with type 2 and have normal or low BMI.
    I recently been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance (so not yet type 2 but IR will lead me to type 2 diabetes if I don't change my lifestyle now).
    Typing Insuline resistance and type 2 online I read mostly about dieting, physical activity and weight loss, actually everywhere I read about low carbs, keto, intermittent fasting, daily workout.... in the forums people mostly try to lost weight and their numbers get better and this is a key for them to improve their condition.

But I have already a low BMI and I wish not to lose more weight, this past 6 months as I have started to follow low carbs diet to improve my insuline numbers. Unfortunately I keep losing and losing weigh and don't feel happy in my body anymore.
    I also read that people who are thin and with type 2 are more likely to have complication and fatal issues... I' m so overwhelmed.

Is there anyone here who face the same problem?
    How do you keep on weight with all the restrictions that type 2 required?

2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

I was overweight when diagnosed so not personal experience I but I see plenty on here that are normal weight and sometimes low. It often referred to as TOFI thin outside fat inside and is about visceral fat around the internal organs rather than good old fashioned body fat.

traditionally a lot of emphasis has been put on weight loss to control numbers but many here on low carb find that control the numbers and the weight loss follows because they are then eating the foods that their body can deal with ie fewer carbs and it is the excess carbs and thus bgl that cause the weight gain not just the other way round.

if you wish to maintain or even gain weight the trick is increasing proteins and natural fats not carbs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Try increasing your fat intake.

You might also find this thread helpful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/tofi-who-else-is.172441/

• Like Like x 2
  4. Elenas

How can we know if we are TOFI, is there any specific test I should asked my GP to performed ?

5. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Have you had a full blood panel test? with the test focused on liver function, kidney function and there is also scans to the liver and other organs to see if your organs have fatty deposits. I had a non alcoholic fatty liver, diagnosed about fifteen years ago, but Keto sorted that out.

Keep asking, keep safe

• Like Like x 1
  6. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

No specific test as it’s a description not a diagnosis. See the post above re full tests to consider

7. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Keeping the carbs down should help remove insulin resistance. It's unlikety your BMI will keep going down as long as you have enough fats and protein. It's always possible you could be T1/LADA as the low BMI is a hint so you may need to ask the GP for the two tests for T1; GAD and C-Peptide.

8. Doireallyneedanams

Doireallyneedanams · Well-Known Member

Can I ask how your insulin resistance was diagnosed and what prompted to check?

9. sgm14

sgm14 · Well-Known Member

Do you have any references to this? It is not something I was aware of.

I'm officially type 2 and currently just about on the threshold between healthy and underweight. When I was firstly diagnosed and put on metformin, I was in a similar situation weight-wise. I did lose a little bit of weight (which probably would have put in into the underweight category) but at that stage I was not too worried about either losing or gaining weight. My carb intake was never high and while I did reduce it, never went as far as low carb.

After a few years, the metformin stopped working and my blood sugars levels started rising and I started losing weight rapidly and my BMI dropped to around 15.5. (At this stage I was given some warnings about the dangers of being underweight in general, but I don't recall any specific to diabetes, which is why I was interested in your comment.)

I was put on insulin and sent to a dietician who give me some recommendations to help gain weight. Can't remember all the details, put some I can remember are.
    Double-cream in coffee / soup
    Eat plenty of cheese and eggs.
    Use whole Milk with extra Vegetable fat.
    Oily Fish and fatty meat.

(See also https://www.nutritionadvance.com/gain-weight-healthy-way/)

Now, my weight is ok and my carb content is around 100g per day. I did try to lower it further, but found that my weight started to drop, so I went back to the 100g per day level. Obviously being on insulin gives me the freedom to have a higher carb content without raising my blood sugars, so this may not apply to you.

Have you asked about being referred to a dietician ?

10. Redshank

Redshank Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic and have never been overweight. I think (from reading) that about 10-15% of people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are not overweight. This is often mentioned in articles/advice and then completely ignored.

I switched to Low Carb and lost weight that I didn't want or need to lose. I ate untill I was full - but this wasn't enough. Most people on this site want to lose weight at some stage, and advise to ignore calorie intake - wise advice in that situation.
    However, I kept a detailed food diary, weighing my food (initially to monitor carbs) - I began to monitor calories. I was eating around 1500cal per day and losing weight (I weigh myself every Monday morning!). I found that if I eat around 2500cal (of the type of food that I eat) thene my weight was stable. If I ate around 2000 I would lose weight, if I ate 3000 (which I find very difficult) then I would gain weight.

I adjusted my diet and no longer keep a food diary as I know what I eat. I still weigh myself every Monday and my weight has been stable (+/- one pound) for more than 2 years. My blood sugars have remained below the Pre-diabetic levels in that period.

My advice is to keep a detailed food diary for a week and include calories consumed. See what you find out. I learned how to increase my calories with low carb nuts, cheese, olive oil, avocado and other foods I like (I don't eat meat so it is a bit more complex!). Your likes/dislikes will be different, but you will probably need to fond a way to increase fats and protein

• Like Like x 2
  11. TriciaWs

TriciaWs Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I read that about 10% of people diagnosed with T2 are not overweight.
    And it is possible to go low carb to reduce blood sugars without losing weight - put butter on your green veg, add oil dressings to leafy salads, eat the fat on meat (eg bacon), have double cream on a few fresh berries for dessert, drink 'bullet coffee or add double cream to coffee.
    If you don't want to have milk (full fat) then try coconut milk in drinks?
    And don't worry about cholesterol - mine went down when I dropped most carbs from my diet.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Elenas

Thank you I will see if I can have those
    I had several hypoglycemic episode which lead me to ER, first they were telling me to eat more heavy carbs meal and drink juices, as I’m thin they probably thought I wasn’t eating enough. But as my fainting increases I finally got to see an endocrinologist who check my insulin though GTT test plus insulin and I have high fasting insulin + reactive hypoglycemia. My fasting blood sugar isn’t that low, so I have a resistance to insulin and this is the first step to type 2. I have been put on metformin and my body become so weak and I’ve lost too much weight in 2 month. Now I’m only doing low carb with Berberine supplements. I keep losing...

13. Elenas

Thank you for the feedback , I saw this data here: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/diabetes-can-strike-hard-even-when-weight-is-normal-201208085121

It says we have double chance to have cardiac issues....

and for the diet I have also some difficulties as I’m vegetarian and lactose intolerant so cream, butter , cheese .... I can’t eat it. Without carbs I have only veggies and tofu left to eat. I have difficulties to eat low carbs for this reason as my body is asking for more fuel ...

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did your consultant rule out type 1 diabetes?

15. Elenas

I have no idea if she did, she order plenty of test and we only discussed what came abnormal. It was my insulin. Too much insulin in my fasting results. So I guess she exclude type 1 base on this result .

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook