Low Calorie diet at Guys and St Thomas'

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Live from the reception area, one of the research co-ordinators has just gone over to a significantly overweight Type 2 on Insulin to give them some information pertaining to the low calorie diet research, which as far as I can tell, is the Newcastle diet. They are apparently looking for 100 participants and are doing a proper clinical study to provide the NICE required data for future treatment plans. The programme of research lasts for a year, so I would expect to see the research papers in about two years with NICE recommendations for policy changes in three.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Live from the reception area, one of the research co-ordinators has just gone over to a significantly overweight Type 2 on Insulin to give them some information pertaining to the low calorie diet research, which as far as I can tell, is the Newcastle diet. They are apparently looking for 100 participants and are doing a proper clinical study to provide the NICE required data for future treatment plans. The programme of research lasts for a year, so I would expect to see the research papers in about two years with NICE recommendations for policy changes in three.

Excellent news, thanks Tim.

It's surely a matter of time before the treatment tide and options changes.

Borninafrica

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Inept GPs who insist on writing prescriptions to treat symptoms instead of searching for the cause and who, when faced with a Patient upset with his treatment, Poo-poos his fears with the stock phrase 'Lose weight and you'll be fine.'

I'd dearly like to get onto the research project at Guys. If only to shake my local team out of their state of inertia. I've been begging them to allow me to do the Newcastle diet and merely monitor me, but no, it is not recognized by Nice. What do I have to lose? A lot of weight, reverse the Type 2, get a life again… endless. Any information appreciated. Thanks

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Google search for "gstt diabetes research" and it should show you the right website. It's in the list on there.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'd dearly like to get onto the research project at Guys. If only to shake my local team out of their state of inertia. I've been begging them to allow me to do the Newcastle diet and merely monitor me, but no, it is not recognized by Nice. What do I have to lose? A lot of weight, reverse the Type 2, get a life again… endless. Any information appreciated. Thanks
Why not just do it for yourself. You do not need permission. You are an adult and it is your body and your life. Tell them you are doing it whether Nice recognises it or not.

Reactions: 4 people