low carb and low fat

vicky_l

Hi

I have been doing well on low carb high fat and lost over three stone so far however I have gallstones and have been advised to adopt a low fat diet so am rather stuck as I know keeping my carbs down helps my numbers but by going low fat I am so hungry and struggling to get over 1000 calories a day which bluntly is not enough as I weigh 24 st 6 lbs

Any suggestions please?

Obviously I want to do it right healthy and safe and at the same time avoid admission to hospital again (5 times this year with severe pain)

At a loss as to how to do this as I have heard too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys so feel doomed to cause damage somehow

Have noted cant tolerate nuts or seeds either so no putting those in to up calories

Thanks

xoxox

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
vicky_l said:
Hi

I have been doing well on low carb high fat and lost over three stone so far however I have gallstones and have been advised to adopt a low fat diet so am rather stuck as I know keeping my carbs down helps my numbers but by going low fat I am so hungry and struggling to get over 1000 calories a day which bluntly is not enough as I weigh 24 st 6 lbs

Any suggestions please?

Obviously I want to do it right healthy and safe and at the same time avoid admission to hospital again (5 times this year with severe pain)

At a loss as to how to do this as I have heard too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys so feel doomed to cause damage somehow

Have noted cant tolerate nuts or seeds either so no putting those in to up calories

Thanks

xoxox

Have you tried nuts in powdered form - ground almonds & coconut flour? I use them as porridge & as flour in low carb, no sugar cakes.

bohemian

Low carb without a good amount of fat (lard, butter, coconut oil, dripping, olive oil) is dangerous! Our brains and hearts need this type of fat and NOT the heavily omega 6 laden polyunsaturated type! Mountains of evidence for this and I'm happy to provide some of it if it becomes an issue here.

Now further to the OP's question. Gallstones and LCHF diet. I offer this link to the website of Dr Andreas Eenfeldt of Sweden that addresses this very issue and wish you good luck with this condition.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
bohemian said:
Low carb without a good amount of fat (lard, butter, coconut oil, dripping, olive oil) is dangerous! Our brains and hearts need this type of fat and NOT the heavily omega 6 laden polyunsaturated type! Mountains of evidence for this and I'm happy to provide some of it if it becomes an issue here.

Now further to the OP's question. Gallstones and LCHF diet. I offer this link to the website of Dr Andreas Eenfeldt of Sweden that addresses this very issue and wish you good luck with this condition.

http://www.dietdoctor.com/gallstones-and-low-carb

Dr Andreas Eenfeldt,a great site and well worth visiting.

Paul

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Gallstones are partly made up of crystalised cholesterol, which is why they want you to cut down on fatty foods. However, things like fish with omega 3 fats are OK, as are some oils like olive oil. Vinegars too are supposed to be helpful so you can probably already guess that I am going to suggest that you look at some mediterranean diets. Also, little and often is better than feast and fast. My blood sugar levels are always lowest when I have tuna, mackerel, sardine salads or feta cheese with olives, lots of sliced tomatoes and red onion. Drizzled with a little oil and balsamic vinegar, they taste great but, you'll feel peckish after a couple of hours, so have plenty of little ideas ready. I like sardine paste on ryvita or very thinly sliced cheese and pickled onion on ryvita.

vicky_l

Thanks everyone for replies will read diet doctor properly in a minute

sadly allergic to tomatoes and onions so cant eat those and citrus and kiwi boring huh

will try salmon for lunch with some veggies

such a different level of advice doc saying low fat and I know that means carbs

just ate a low gl breakfast cereal Lizi's granola and had a sugar spike of 2.4 increase taking me over the level I allow myself to go to so clearly that particular low gl doesnt agree with me

off to read

any more advice welcome

thanks again

xoxox

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
vicky_l said:
just ate a low gl breakfast cereal Lizi's granola and had a sugar spike of 2.4 increase taking me over the level I allow myself to go to so clearly that particular low gl doesnt agree with me

Try some pearl barley in soups or stews or even as a rice substitute. It's normally very forgiving for BG levels. If that works for you, there are other things you can try, like quinoa, but start with the barley first. It soaks up whatever sauce you cook it in so you can get a tasty dish out of it. In fact, it makes a great paella I am told, so you can get your fish that way.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Vicky
If you can get hold of a copy of John yudkin's "Pure, White and Deadly". You'll see that all those years ago, he was recommending a low carb diet for gallstones.
My non-diabetic daughter, had gallstones and followed current medical advice, which led her straight down the road to surgery.
Do read Yudkin on the subject.
Hana

vicky_l

Thanks Yorksman sadly I know I react to rice etc so not tempted to try only tried granola out of desperation

Thanks hanadr will read Yudkin later on today after a break from computer as been on a while

suspect will go back to low carb high fat been on high carb low fat and feel so ill

xoxox