Low carb 'bread crumbs'

lynde89

Hi,

So I found out this little recipe & wanted to share! I have used it for fried chicken, fish, shrimp & okra so far, but you should also be able to use it for in the oven too, may be even scotch eggs? (I haven't tried as I don't like eggs!)

The whole family loves it, it was the first thing I ran out for when we cooked for them all last weekend!!

Basically, the main ingredient is pork crunch, it's like the pork cracklings but more airy, I get mine from tesco, I just wish that they did bigger bags!

So, grind up the pork crunch (I use a pestle & mortar as I found a grinder would grind it too much & make it oily so it all stuck together) & add some almond flour (i normally use about 1/2 cup) salt, pepper & anything else you want to. I usually add some creole & paprika. The almond flour gives it a bit more texture & stops it being too salty. The only carbs in this is in the flour you add.

To fry, use an egg wash & them dip in the 'breadcrumbs' or 'batter' & fry in shallow oil.

I usually make hush puppies using the left overs, just mix the egg & breadcrumbs, make into little balls & fry for some extra yummy low carb flavourness :eek:)

I think I will be making some fish using this tonight now!!

Lets know if anyone tries it & what you think!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

lynde89 said:
Hi,

So I found out this little recipe & wanted to share! I have used it for fried chicken, fish, shrimp & okra so far, but you should also be able to use it for in the oven too, may be even scotch eggs? (I haven't tried as I don't like eggs!)

The whole family loves it, it was the first thing I ran out for when we cooked for them all last weekend!!

Basically, the main ingredient is pork crunch, it's like the pork cracklings but more airy, I get mine from tesco, I just wish that they did bigger bags!

So, grind up the pork crunch (I use a pestle & mortar as I found a grinder would grind it too much & make it oily so it all stuck together) & add some almond flour (i normally use about 1/2 cup) salt, pepper & anything else you want to. I usually add some creole & paprika. The almond flour gives it a bit more texture & stops it being too salty. The only carbs in this is in the flour you add.

To fry, use an egg wash & them dip in the 'breadcrumbs' or 'batter' & fry in shallow oil.

I usually make hush puppies using the left overs, just mix the egg & breadcrumbs, make into little balls & fry for some extra yummy low carb flavourness :eek:)

I think I will be making some fish using this tonight now!!

Lets know if anyone tries it & what you think!

Never heard of pork crunch before, what section would I find it in the supermarket? I'd love to try this out. Thanks for posting. :)

lynde89

It should be in the snack section, near the crisps or sharing crisps bit? It's on of the things that it normally on the hanging displays that they have about randomly in the shop, that's where I normally get mine from in a Tesco Expeess. I guess they'd be near the pork scratching if you can find them as they're pretty much the same thing, just easier to crush up! :eek:)

Let me know how you get on :eek:)

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It's the one in a red bag I believe...Thanks for the tip :thumbup: will be trying this with some chicken! :)

H

Hooked

lynde89 said:
It should be in the snack section, near the crisps or sharing crisps bit? It's on of the things that it normally on the hanging displays that they have about randomly in the shop, that's where I normally get mine from in a Tesco Expeess. I guess they'd be near the pork scratching if you can find them as they're pretty much the same thing, just easier to crush up! :eek:)

Let me know how you get on :eek:)

Brill! Thank you. :D