Low carb bread

A

AnnieC

Has anyone tried the HiLo bread thats a low carb one they sell it in Sainsburys and it is about £1.40 I don't know if any other supermarkets do it. It is 5gm carbs a slice which I think is slightly higher than Livlife but although the slices are very small they seem to be a little thicker cut than Livlife. I really didn't like Livlife bread at all I found it to dry and even my husband a real seeded bread lover would not eat it. Personally I think the Hilo bread is nicer but it is a matter of taste
http://hi-lo-bread.co.uk/

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I like that on the website it tells you which store stock it. Might have to try it sometime.

A

AnnieC

PS....anyone looking for the HiLo bread in Sainsburys I found it with the gluten free stuff not with the general bread in our local one maybe different in others though

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Looks good Annie and not too high in carbs, does it taste OK and make a decent sandwich?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Available in England only :(

Please buy lots so that they roll it out everywhere! ;)

A

AnnieC

Looks good Annie and not too high in carbs, does it taste OK and make a decent sandwich?
I have only had it toasted with my breakfast I don't often have sandwiches so have not tried it for those but think it would be ok

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I have only had it toasted with my breakfast I don't often have sandwiches so have not tried it for those but think it would be ok

Thanks Annie. I always have my bread toasted for sandwiches anyway, with seeded bread toasting it awakens the flavour of the seeds. I have a Sainsbury's near me so will look out for it and try it.

However I suspect the slices won't be as big as a standard loaf and this will (in part) be a reason why it's lower in carbs. I don't know if you seen Food Uncovered last year on the tv, they were investigating why low-calorie bread was lower in cals than a standard loaf, no surprise that the low-cal breads were much smaller in size but twice the price :)

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this Annie - I will try this one. It looks good and only 5 carbs a slice too.

A

AnnieC

Thanks Annie. I always have my bread toasted for sandwiches anyway, with seeded bread toasting it awakens the flavour of the seeds. I have a Sainsbury's near me so will look out for it and try it.

However I suspect the slices won't be as big as a standard loaf and this will (in part) be a reason why it's lower in carbs. I don't know if you seen Food Uncovered last year on the tv, they were investigating why low-calorie bread was lower in cals than a standard loaf, no surprise that the low-cal breads were much smaller in size but twice the price :)

Yes you are right the slices are very small but thicker cut I think than Livlife bread.
It is not one I would buy all the time as I can eat 2 slices of toasted Bergen bread ok

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes you are right the slices are very small but thicker cut I think than Livlife bread.
It is not one I would buy all the time as I can eat 2 slices of toasted Bergen bread ok

Well if they are thicker then that's a bonus Annie, I've not tried the Livelife bread as when it first came out a few on the forum said it tasted like bird-food:( However I do enjoy Bergen bread and Iceland sell it for £1 a loaf.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It has about the same calories as normal grain bread. It seems to be made much lower in carbohydrates by replacing the starch with protein from wheat and soy.
Not so good then for those who limit their protein or those that don't like to use soy.
(don't think that it will make it to France, they take their bread very seriously! )

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Will let you know Ang, got some 'stewing'. Made a sour dough and about to add more yeast then throw it in the oven. Got to test as its an experiment.

B

badcat

I found it raised my BS by a slightly lower amount the normal homemade wheat bread, particularly if I put some rye in too. But still too much to eat much of
The best way I've found to lower carb load is to replace 50% or so of the flour with vital wheat gluten and also to add some sunflower / pumpkin seeds

guoquan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tried both n found that sourdough is better. I think its bcos of fermentation. Any food that converts glucose into lactic acid will b good for diabetes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found it raised my BS by a slightly lower amount the normal homemade wheat bread, particularly if I put some rye in too. But still too much to eat much of
The best way I've found to lower carb load is to replace 50% or so of the flour with vital wheat gluten and also to add some sunflower / pumpkin seeds
Have you tried soy or chickpea flour mix with the gluten and wheat flour. I've seen recipes with it, the gluten keeps the texture

Last edited by a moderator:

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I shall try this hi low bread ...thank you for the link.....