Low carb breakfast ideas......

Sweet enough

and heres the tricky bit....low fat too !

Anyone have any low carb breakfast ideas that dont include oats or all bran, and not too cholestrol packed?
Cheers

wallycorker

Hi Sweet enough,

Lean bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms? That's what I eat these days - grilled preferably or sometimes fried in a little olive oil. My last cholesterol reading was 3.1 but it may have increased just a little since then.

Best wishes - John

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Kippers with poached eggs!

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
* A sixty second almond meal muffin microwaved in a coffee cup.

* Psyllium husk "pudding" with diet jelly and some berries.

* Lean pork mice, cheese and egg "muffin".

* Avocado, smoked salmon with capers and/or hollandaise sauce and poached egg.

For me breakfast has to be fairly easy as I am not a morning person but I do have to eat almost as soon as I get up. So the night before I usually have to decide what breakfast is going to be.
Alison

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
scrambled eggs made in the microwave can be made with very little butter, but since it's not the butter that causes cholesterol production, why not have it REALLY NICE?
Hana

clearviews

Dislikes
Oops! I did mean lean pork MINCE not mice in my previous post. Not quite into desperation stage here!
Alison

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
low carb smoothie - scoop of holland and barret choc flavoured soya powder, light soya milk, handful of frozen berries, spoon ful of yogurt (or two) - blend, stir, enjoy. About 8 -10 g cho per serving

clearviews

Dislikes
Hi Helen
I have just posted 3 recipes for breakfast in the Diabetes Food Forum. Hope you like them.
Alison

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How about a couple of slices of the 1 minute low carb bread and some Tartext pate (vegetarian savoury spread from health food shop) or marmite or even boiled eggs.
The bread is on another thread as Percy's 1 minute microwave bread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8498#p79443

Sweet enough

clearviews said:
Oops! I did mean lean pork MINCE not mice in my previous post. Not quite into desperation stage here!
Alison

****** and Ive been looking for the GI of mice- thinking the white were worse than the brown :D

Sweet enough

I know this sounds both obvious and ignorant...but isnt bacon and/or eggs every day a tad overdoing the cholestrol and fat ?
Has anyone had any problems with skipping breakfast altogether rather than trying to find a LC replacement ? again I know its a dIfferent matter between T1&2'S but as a T2 (and probably against common wisdom) it does seem a more sensible idea. Skip breakfast, start with lunch !

Thanks for the replies by the way .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
If you skip breakfast then your liver will just dump glucose in order for you to have enough energy to see you till lunch time.

Far better to eat at breakfast time to give your body something to do till lunch time !! I prefer an apple, (Pink Lady) and cheese for breakfast, it keeps me going till lunch.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sweet enough said:
I know this sounds both obvious and ignorant...but isnt bacon and/or eggs every day a tad overdoing the cholestrol and fat ?
Hi Sweetenough,
On diagnosis my trigs were 7.7 and I was advised that this is "heart attack territory". I moved onto a low carb diet. Pre diagnosis, breakfast was typically wholemeal toast with cereals and some fruit with lots of milk. Latterly it's typically bacon or saveloys with fried egg or 2 egg ommelete and tomatoes. Occasionaly a cold meat and cheeses platter and once or twice a week, kippers with eggs.
I always used to cut the fat off meat and I now EAT it!!. I frequently snack on cheese.
I would also add that I now always purchase the high fat or full fat product, whether it be cheese, yoghurt or cream.
So conventional wisdom tells me that my cholesterol and trigs will suffer??.
The reality???
Cholesterol has come down a little (it was never that bad anyway), my lipid ratio has improved significantly, my blood pressure has dropped from approx 130/80 to 114/66 and my trigs have been DECIMATED from 7.7 to 0.9!!!.

I firmly believe and consider that I have proven to myself, that high carbs causes blood fat/lipid issues and not high fat.

All the best - Steve.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Sweet enough wrote: I know this sounds both obvious and ignorant...but isnt bacon and/or eggs every day a tad overdoing the cholestrol and fat ?

This just goes to show how different we all are in how are bodies metabolise things we eat.

I have to say that I found the exact opposite to Bluenosesol. I tried low carbing a while ago and ate more fat. What happened was all my lipids went haywire, (from 3.2 TC to 5+ all other numbers were BAD !)not just for a little while but months. I was forced to abandon the high fat mantra and get back to a low fat but reduced carbs diet. In a very short space of time TC was back down to 3.2, all other levels back to normal. I do eat a little fat, nice steaks etc but I too don't have bacon and eggs every day. Frankly I listen to the advice from my Cardiologist, which is targeted at me and not some general advice dished out to all.

Now I have to say I don't eat a lot of fat for medical reasons, cardivascular problems. So I am not a typical example. Try it and see is my advice. You might be a Bluenose, or maybe not.

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
cugila said:
Try it and see is my advice. You might be a Bluenose, or maybe not.

Absolutely!!!

If one size fitted all, we could post the answers then shut down the forum!!.

Hence why I say that I proved to myself. If you want to see if it works for you - you also must prove it to yourself

All the best - Steve (Bluenosesol)

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Sue,

an extract from Medweb/Birmingham University...

There are two main types of fat in the blood, triglycerides and cholesterol. There are two types of cholesterol, high density lipoprotein (HDL), and low density (LDL). Triglycerides and LDL cholesterol are harmful. Many laboratories measure the 'total' cholesterol, and generally this is equivalent to the LDL level, and the lower the better.

Types of lipid

cholesterol
•combination of LDL + HDL types
•ideal level <2.5, good level<3.5, target level <4.0.
•blood test can be carried out not fasting
•HDL cholesterol were thought to be protective, but new evidence suggest they make little difference.
•LDL cholesterol is definitely harmful
•a low cholesterol causes less heart disease (HPS)
•statins best for all adult diabetics, if well tolerated

triglceride
•blood test ideal fasting
•very harmful if high
•treatment with fibrates first choice especially if triglyceride >4.5mmol/l (NICE)
•Low lower trigyclerides and reduce retinopathy progression by 30-40%: FIELD study recommends Fibrates to lower levels

Low cholesterol and triglyceride levels reduce diabetic complications. Average levels in the UK are 5.2 mmol/l, and these are too high. Most authorities would like lower levels...the lower the better as long as you feel well. A healthy level is <3.5mmol/l. NICE target <4.0 mmol/l. see HPS

Regards Steve

Moogie1947

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that Linwoods do a delicious new range of ground flax seed and mixed nuts - available from health food stores.

Just add a knob of butter & some boiling water to mix to a porridge consistency (and melt the butter) then serve with yoghurt of soy cream. Sprinkle on some Splenda to taste.
Quick and easy - no cooking. LOW CARB. Depends on how much you use.

To add more protein I put in a tablespoon of Soy protein powder to 2 of the flax seed mix.
Linwoods even do one with cocoa in for a chocolatey flavour.

Holland and Barrett are doing a special offer at the moment making it much cheaper than usual.