Low carb crepes

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Anyone know any recipes for low carb pancakes? I mean proper pancakes, not those nasty little squat American things, and not an omelette with a teaspoon of flour mixed in!

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Anyone know any recipes for low carb pancakes? I mean proper pancakes, not those nasty little squat American things, and not an omelette with a teaspoon of flour mixed in!
Lovely description, I know exactly what you are looking for, I Don't have a Low Carb one, so will be watching what replies you get. :)
Can help with a normal Cake Flour one, but am certain that's not what you looking for

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only tried them once.
They turned out to be 2mm thick omelettes, speckled with desiccated coconut. Vile.

So I'm afraid I can't help, but if anyone comes up with a decent recipe, I'll be delighted!

Used to loooove French style buckwheat crepes...:rolleyes:

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
This morning I made some using a whey protein recipe. They were so disgusting that I ended up pouring the mixture away after cooking and eating 2. I was famished all morning!

I may have to try experimenting a bit, if the worst comes to the worst. I wonder if they would work using wheat bran and a little bit of a low carb flour with the egg?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
OK. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME (unless you are looking for a recipe for an emetic).

4tbsps wheat bran, ground finely (as fine as I could get the ... stuff)
4tbsps coconut flour
2 eggs
pinch of salt
water to give a pancake mix consistency
1-2 tbsp melted butter

basically makes a truly foul granulated fried egg.

I continually marvel at the wonders of grain-based flour!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gluten powder to whatever you use ..... Gives proper texture

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Gluten powder to whatever you use ..... Gives proper texture

I did wonder about that. I have some for bread and thought it might just make the pancakes a bit 'doughy' - more like a chapatti. Have you tried it?

MarchHare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe a silly suggestion (forgive me if it is) but have you tried using a recipe for the thicker pancakes, and just spreading it out further in the pan? Possibly add a little more water than you would for American pancakes to make a much thinner batter, and I'd leave out any raising agent as well.

Worth a shot maybe?

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Lots of lovely suggestions! I shall try them all, including the watery American batter (although I did try it with one form of recipe and the problem was the batter just sort of solidified where it landed and wouldn't budge even though it was watered down).

The recipe on ibreathimhungry.com does look very tasty. :)

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Reactions: 2 people