low carb, diabete type 2. multivitamin and mineral recommend?

songorng

i have been eating low carb but lot of meat, maybe carnivore diet if u guy think it is. im getting keto flu. which suppplement should i take? here in cambodia doesnt have kirkland and import one is so expensive coz tax. i found this multivitamin and mineral. is this good?
plus-1.jpeg
Screenshot_2020-02-17-20-22-23-43.jpeg

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In UK the larger super market chains have online websites:

www.tesco.com
www.asda.com
www.sainsburys

and they sell multivitamins too.
For example, to find information about Tesco's vitamins:

1. enter tesco.com
2. select groceries (if not already selected)
3. specify search key multivitamins
PRESS Enter

You get a long list of matching multivitamins (some also containing minerals). The match 'Tesco A-Z Multivitamins & Minerals 90S' shows:
Tesco Multivitamins and Minerals
Nutrition
Typical Values One tablet %RI*
Vitamin D 10.00µg 200
Vitamin K 75.0µg 100
Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 1.10mg 100
Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 1.40mg 100
Pantothenic acid 6.0mg 100
Vitamin B6 1.40mg 100
Folic Acid 200µg 100
Vitamin B12 2.50µg 100
Biotin 50.0µg 100
Vitamin C 80mg 100
Calcium 200mg 25
Magnesium 100.0mg 27
Iron 14.0mg 100
Copper 1.00mg 100
Iodine 150.0µg 100
Zinc 10.0mg 100
Manganese 2.0mg 100
Selenium 55.0µg 100
Chromium 40µg 100
Molybdenum 50.0µg 100
* Recommended Daily Amount - -

and you can then compare with multi vitamins available in Cambodia.

You can also find nutrients of all foods sold on these UK supermarket websites. Spinach is good for keto-diets. Search for it on the Tesco website and you will get the macro nutrients:
Typical Values Per 100g spinach
Energy 115kJ/28kcal
Fat 0.8g
Saturates 0.1g
Carbohydrate 0.5g
Sugars 0.3g
Fibre 3.0g
Protein 3.1g
Salt <0.01g

but vitamin and mineral content is normally not shown.
For a full nutrition description of spinach you can go to US Department of Agriculture's (USDA's) FoodData Central website:
https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/
and enter search key 'spinach'.
You will get a long list of matches. Ignore those marked 'Branded' and select 'Spinach, raw, SR Legacy...' which shows a list of nutrients per 100g of spinach. In this list you will see Magnesium 79mg, Potassium 558mg and Sodium 79mg.

I think you can probably get all nutrients the body needs from eating local foods in Cambodia. The USDA FoodData Central may help to eliminate foods that are too high in carbohydrates for keto-diets.

Reactions: songorng

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi Songorng,
I think you are a little confused. Multi-Vitamins - any vitamins can't prevent/help with 'Keto Flu'. The list you show does include some minerals but not all those you need to prevent/recover from 'keto flu'.
'Keto Flu' also known as 'Atkins Flu' happens because on ultra Low carb some people pee out too much of some electrolytes.

The main electrolytes likely to be deficient are ; Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.

Sources of Sodium are easy enough - just add a little more salt (or fish sauce, but beware of the sugar in it) to your meals.
Potassium is trickier since the most favoured source Banana is off -limits to Low Carbers.
I use a low/reduced Sodium Salt called LoSalt to get both at the same time (it is 66% Potassium Chloride), but I don't know if it is available where you live.

Magnesium Chloride is a supplement that 'The Fat Emperor' himself uses. He gets it from Amazon in 25Kg sacks (sufficient for all his family for several years). There is a little Magnesium Chloride in fish sauce, but I nowhere near enough without overdosing on Sodium.

Here is a link to a blog post about this subject which lists natural sources of these electrolytes:
http://blog.hvmn.com/blog/ketosis/keto-electrolytes-tips-and-concerns

Reactions: songorng

songorng

Hi Songorng,
I think you are a little confused. Multi-Vitamins - any vitamins can't prevent/help with 'Keto Flu'. The list you show does include some minerals but not all those you need to prevent/recover from 'keto flu'.
'Keto Flu' also known as 'Atkins Flu' happens because on ultra Low carb some people pee out too much of some electrolytes.

The main electrolytes likely to be deficient are ; Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium.

Sources of Sodium are easy enough - just add a little more salt (or fish sauce, but beware of the sugar in it) to your meals.
Potassium is trickier since the most favoured source Banana is off -limits to Low Carbers.
I use a low/reduced Sodium Salt called LoSalt to get both at the same time (it is 66% Potassium Chloride), but I don't know if it is available where you live.

Magnesium Chloride is a supplement that 'The Fat Emperor' himself uses. He gets it from Amazon in 25Kg sacks (sufficient for all his family for several years). There is a little Magnesium Chloride in fish sauce, but I nowhere near enough without overdosing on Sodium.

Here is a link to a blog post about this subject which lists natural sources of these electrolytes:
http://blog.hvmn.com/blog/ketosis/keto-electrolytes-tips-and-concerns
ah... thank you.. will go out and see if there are any mineral like your out here.