1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb diet and that all inclusive holiday

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by maxster, Mar 25, 2013.

1. maxster

maxster · Member

Hi not sure if this had been posted before, but in need of some support and tips? I have been low carbing for the last 3 weeks and have lost 14lbs and maintained my bloods between 4.1 and 6.3. I am really chuffed but dreading the holiday now as I don't want to screw the good work up. I am on victoza, metformin and gliglazide. Help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The all-inclusive holidays I've been on are normally a buffet service where there's plenty of meats, cheese, salads and vegetables etc, I'm sure they'll be something suitable to your diet maxter.

3. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's awesome we'll done! I'm off on an all inclusive break in 5 weeks too. I've been type 1 for a month now so in a bit wary of the food too. It's always difficult when you've not cooked yourself! We go all inclusive all the time though and you usually find a good salad bar as a minimum

4. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

A couple of years ago, myhusband and I did a 2 week cruise to celebrate our 40th wedding annivrersary. I found it pretty easy tto keep to low carb. Breakfast was a buffet type, so EASY to have a fry-up ! [ I did like American bacon] For lunch I often skipped and just had coffee, but a salad would have been simple to get. Even the 5 course dinners were Ok I just made sure that most of my choices were salads.
    There was free ice cream on offer on the top deck every afternoon, but they had a superb sugar free strawberry one on the 2 or 3 occasions I had one.
    It's just a question of knowing where those carbs are hiding. Remember that starchy foods are as high in carbs as sugary ones. Potatoes, rice, Pasta. bread and other baked goods; pastry. that's the risky bit also thickened sauces. Watch out for too much fruit too!
    Safe is meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salad veggies greens cooked as simply as possible, so you can see the ingredients is best.
    Remember you can ask what's in foods.
    I'd been warnedd by friens who'd cruised before that I'd gain weight. I didn't, I LOST. I also didn't use the lift.
    My BG stayed in my target zone the whole trip

Have a great holiday
    Hana

5. maxster

maxster · Member

Thanks noblehead I think need to keep the will power at full throttle

6. maxster

maxster · Member

It ius such a worry when there is a very wide range of food that I used to eat when watching what I ate before starting low carbing

7. maxster

maxster · Member

8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Red wine and some spirits are quite low in carbs and you can get the diet tonic/soda's to go with the spirits, I'm not a type 2 Maxster or a low-carber so hopefully others may offer some suggestions here.

Hope you enjoy the holiday :thumbup:

9. maxster

maxster · Member

Thanks again noble head, good sound advice, I do like red wine so thumbs up on that score. I know everything in moderation, just need to Get my sensible head on. At least the weather wont be as cold as here, so looking forward now to the holiday, and the service and support from you guys had helped

10. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi maxster,
    I'm a low carber. As noblehead said red wine, dry/medium white and any spirit with a diet mixer will stop you from going high. Avoid beer as a pint has the same amount of carbs as a slice of bread.

11. mo1905

mo1905 Type 1 · BANNED

All inclusive generally offer a wide variety for you to choose from. Plenty of eggs and meat which are carb free. To be honest, I would not let diabetes ruin my hols. If you want a few beers or some fries , go for it. Just test more regular and listen to your body. You need to be careful still but you need to enjoy your holiday too ! Maybe not the best advice but works for me. ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. quantocks

quantocks · Newbie

As far as Drinking alcohol goes try - Soda, Lime, and Gin - ****. I usually get a whole small lime squeezed and plenty of ice - the colder the better. Double gin is a fat **** !
    Seriously , it works for me , you can also top up with extra soda and the drink looks the same, tastes pretty good.
    Just had my latest HbA1c back at 6.2 , compared to 9.0 three months ago , so, fairly low carbing , exericse to 70% of recommended max heart rate about 4 times a week, and several fat slags most nights , seems to be working!
    Currently working in far east , where eating rice and noodles and drinking beer is a way of life for most expats.
    Cheers!

13. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'll have to ask to see if I can get that on the NHS!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This made me literally laugh out loud

15. X-entricity

X-entricity Type 2 · Active Member

I had an all inclusive holiday in December. Caused no problems at all. The only problem is that there is usually so much food there that you may be tempted to just have too much. Asothers have said, plenty of salads and watch the carbs and fat etc and you'll have no problems.

16. maxster

maxster · Member

Cheers quontocks I will enjoy the holiday, thanks to all for the support and advice

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook