Low carb diet and that all inclusive holiday

maxster

Hi not sure if this had been posted before, but in need of some support and tips? I have been low carbing for the last 3 weeks and have lost 14lbs and maintained my bloods between 4.1 and 6.3. I am really chuffed but dreading the holiday now as I don't want to screw the good work up. I am on victoza, metformin and gliglazide. Help

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The all-inclusive holidays I've been on are normally a buffet service where there's plenty of meats, cheese, salads and vegetables etc, I'm sure they'll be something suitable to your diet maxter.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's awesome we'll done! I'm off on an all inclusive break in 5 weeks too. I've been type 1 for a month now so in a bit wary of the food too. It's always difficult when you've not cooked yourself! We go all inclusive all the time though and you usually find a good salad bar as a minimum

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
A couple of years ago, myhusband and I did a 2 week cruise to celebrate our 40th wedding annivrersary. I found it pretty easy tto keep to low carb. Breakfast was a buffet type, so EASY to have a fry-up ! [ I did like American bacon] For lunch I often skipped and just had coffee, but a salad would have been simple to get. Even the 5 course dinners were Ok I just made sure that most of my choices were salads.
There was free ice cream on offer on the top deck every afternoon, but they had a superb sugar free strawberry one on the 2 or 3 occasions I had one.
It's just a question of knowing where those carbs are hiding. Remember that starchy foods are as high in carbs as sugary ones. Potatoes, rice, Pasta. bread and other baked goods; pastry. that's the risky bit also thickened sauces. Watch out for too much fruit too!
Safe is meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salad veggies greens cooked as simply as possible, so you can see the ingredients is best.
Remember you can ask what's in foods.
I'd been warnedd by friens who'd cruised before that I'd gain weight. I didn't, I LOST. I also didn't use the lift.
My BG stayed in my target zone the whole trip

Have a great holiday
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
maxster said:
Thanks for the advice what did you do about alcohol

Red wine and some spirits are quite low in carbs and you can get the diet tonic/soda's to go with the spirits, I'm not a type 2 Maxster or a low-carber so hopefully others may offer some suggestions here.

Hope you enjoy the holiday :thumbup:

maxster

Thanks again noble head, good sound advice, I do like red wine so thumbs up on that score. I know everything in moderation, just need to Get my sensible head on. At least the weather wont be as cold as here, so looking forward now to the holiday, and the service and support from you guys had helped

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi maxster,
I'm a low carber. As noblehead said red wine, dry/medium white and any spirit with a diet mixer will stop you from going high. Avoid beer as a pint has the same amount of carbs as a slice of bread.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
All inclusive generally offer a wide variety for you to choose from. Plenty of eggs and meat which are carb free. To be honest, I would not let diabetes ruin my hols. If you want a few beers or some fries , go for it. Just test more regular and listen to your body. You need to be careful still but you need to enjoy your holiday too ! Maybe not the best advice but works for me. ;-)

quantocks

As far as Drinking alcohol goes try - Soda, Lime, and Gin - ****. I usually get a whole small lime squeezed and plenty of ice - the colder the better. Double gin is a fat **** !
Seriously , it works for me , you can also top up with extra soda and the drink looks the same, tastes pretty good.
Just had my latest HbA1c back at 6.2 , compared to 9.0 three months ago , so, fairly low carbing , exericse to 70% of recommended max heart rate about 4 times a week, and several fat slags most nights , seems to be working!
Currently working in far east , where eating rice and noodles and drinking beer is a way of life for most expats.
Cheers!

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had an all inclusive holiday in December. Caused no problems at all. The only problem is that there is usually so much food there that you may be tempted to just have too much. Asothers have said, plenty of salads and watch the carbs and fat etc and you'll have no problems.