Low Carb Diet: Periodic Carb Refeeding

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted this on the low carb forum but have not had any replies. Apologies for cross-posting but am really interested to know if anybody does this...

I started on a low(ish) carb diet at the beginning of January after my fasting blood sugars started to creep up into the prediabetic range again; I'm on under 100g carb per day (usually more like 80-90g). I also do a long run of about 6 miles on Saturdays.

I've read a bit about carb refeeding on training days (i.e. my Saturdays) and its supposed benefits but it mostly appears to be talking about people with normal blood sugars. Apparently a periodic carb refeed can keep insulin and leptin from downregulating too much (see this very interesting article on the Mark's Daily Apple website:http://www.marksdailyapple.com/dear...se-carb-intake-for-weight-loss/#axzz3QxH4Mqvs). I wondered whether any of you who engage in serious exercise (running, weight lifting, etc.) do or have done anything similar and what impact it had on your blood sugar control? (I would dearly love to have a small bowl of porridge as a guilt-free post-run snack!)

Many thanks

Jo

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Off the top of my head have you looked in the fitness, exercise and sport section? I'm sure I've seen re-carbing discussed somewhere.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have read up on this sort of pre exercise recharging, I don't recall anything that would benefit a diabetic.
As long as you have your protein and are well watered, I can't see why anybody would deliberately up their blood sugar levels intentionally before exercise. If you start at a good level, then if anything your bloods will rise according to how much you exercise. Mild exercise lowers levels. Strenuous exercise raises levels.
Think you are trying to find an excuse to eat carbs!