Low Carb Flour

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Probably been asked many times so apologies.

MW wants to bake some low carb shortbread biscuits and similar things. She's using rice flour and ground almonds but they still aren't low carb enough. Is there a better alternative and where would you get it from?

Defren

I use coconut flour and peanut flour. Coconut flour is 21.7g per 100g and I get it from Holland and Barrett and peanut flour is 24g per 90g and I got that on line. I put up a thread about peanut flour and the link is on there, I also noticed the other day Amazon also have it now.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cheers Jo that's loads less carbs!

iHs

Hi

I had a look in Sainsburys for coconut flour (Asian isle), couldn't see it so bought a 1kg bag of unsweetened desiccated coconut for £2.99. It's fairly fine but could easily be turned into flour by putting it in a food processor. I would imagine that peanut flour can also be made in a food processor by buying a giant bag of unsalted shelled peanuts.

SweetHeart

iHs said:
Hi

I had a look in Sainsburys for coconut flour (Asian isle), couldn't see it so bought a 1kg bag of unsweetened desiccated coconut for £2.99. It's fairly fine but could easily be turned into flour by putting it in a food processor. I would imagine that peanut flour can also be made in a food processor by buying a giant bag of unsalted shelled peanuts.

iHs, You're quite right about the coconut but I wondered about the peanuts. I've seen ground peanuts on ebay and, in comparison to other peanut flours, it's very cheap. However, I've noticed that the more expensive peanut flours say light or medium roast on the bags. Roasted nuts are drier and crunchier than natural peanuts, so I wondered if the flour was finer and drier than the ground peanuts, or if it was exactly the same?

Ju

A

Anonymous

The other thing about coconu flour is that you use a lot less quantity because it bulks up so much - so the carbs are lower

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
We ordered a load of Coconut and Soya flour off the interweb this afternoon. Thanks everyone.