Low Carb Flu

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about this? I've never heard it mentioned before today. I tried asking but it's not for public consumption apparently.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh really? Never heard of it. I wonder why they wouldn't say!

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:

Beats me! I understand that low-carbing makes you healthier and lowers bGs but not that it can make you ill. 'Must be some mistake' as the saying goes. :D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought that low carb was a dietary thing and flu was a virus. Have I got that wrong ...........again

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's something to do with the way you feel while you get through the carb withdrawal period.....a bit tired and flu-like, until your body gets used to low carbs. Bit like cold turkey :lol:

Angie

A

Anonymous

angieG said:
I think it's something to do with the way you feel while you get through the carb withdrawal period.....a bit tired and flu-like, until your body gets used to low carbs. Bit like cold turkey :lol:

Angie

Thanks. I think Paul-1976 said that a person should be careful about flipping between ketosis and the other one which I can't pronounce or spell. That doesn't sound like a once-off thing.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you mean DKA when you haven't enough insulin in your body?

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:

I'm suffering from high carb hernia .... those boxes of bananas are bloody heavy!! :D

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it means that constantly bouncing between low level ketosis and non ketosis messes up your metabolism and makes you feel naff and a bit flu like.

benedict

Administrator
angieG and Thommothebear have got it right; it's unpleasant feelings you get as the body gets used to low carbing.

It's not really flu, or any other virus, just a group of symptoms that feel a bit like flu.

Benedict

A

Anonymous

benedict said:
angieG and Thommothebear have got it right; it's unpleasant feelings you get as the body gets used to low carbing.

It's not really flu, or any other virus, just a group of symptoms that feel a bit like flu.

Benedict

"It's just that people should know that they could suffer from an illness through low-carb dieting."

Gezzathorpe

What illnesses have you got in mind Gezza ?

I thought that I was responding to Paul-1976 who was the person who coined the phrase 'flu', or am I going mad? What does everyone else think? Paul_1976 you must agree that this is a totally despicable mis-representation of the discussion, don't you?

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
gezzathorpe said:
Does anyone know anything about this? I've never heard it mentioned before today. I tried asking but it's not for public consumption apparently.

Gezza, Benedict did explaini it to you in the other thread you commented on.

wiflib