1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low Carb Flu

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Anonymous, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Does anyone know anything about this? I've never heard it mentioned before today. I tried asking but it's not for public consumption apparently.

2. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh really? Never heard of it. I wonder why they wouldn't say!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Beats me! I understand that low-carbing makes you healthier and lowers bGs but not that it can make you ill. 'Must be some mistake' as the saying goes. :D

4. Squire Fulwood

Squire Fulwood Type 2 · Expert

I thought that low carb was a dietary thing and flu was a virus. Have I got that wrong ...........again

5. angieG

angieG Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think it's something to do with the way you feel while you get through the carb withdrawal period.....a bit tired and flu-like, until your body gets used to low carbs. Bit like cold turkey :lol:

Angie

6. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Thanks. I think Paul-1976 said that a person should be careful about flipping between ketosis and the other one which I can't pronounce or spell. That doesn't sound like a once-off thing.

7. angieG

angieG Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you mean DKA when you haven't enough insulin in your body?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

I'm suffering from high carb hernia .... those boxes of bananas are bloody heavy!! :D

9. Thommothebear

Thommothebear Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think it means that constantly bouncing between low level ketosis and non ketosis messes up your metabolism and makes you feel naff and a bit flu like.

10. benedict

benedict · Well-Known Member
    Administrator

angieG and Thommothebear have got it right; it's unpleasant feelings you get as the body gets used to low carbing.

It's not really flu, or any other virus, just a group of symptoms that feel a bit like flu.

Benedict

11. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

"It's just that people should know that they could suffer from an illness through low-carb dieting."

Gezzathorpe

What illnesses have you got in mind Gezza ?

I thought that I was responding to Paul-1976 who was the person who coined the phrase 'flu', or am I going mad? What does everyone else think? Paul_1976 you must agree that this is a totally despicable mis-representation of the discussion, don't you?

12. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Gezza, Benedict did explaini it to you in the other thread you commented on.

wiflib

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook