low carb lasagne recipes

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
looking for a low carb lasgna recipe, and how to make a good cheese sauce for the topping, I think I've seen it on this site but can't find it.:( Help!

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: 2 people

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try the hairy bikers recipe that uses sheets of blanched leeks, I am sure you will find it on google, slices of aubergine - it's a little like moussaka but with beef rather than lamb, for cheese sauce I use half fat cream fresh warmed then stir in grated cheese and mustard

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
I melt strong cheese & mustard into double cream. I find it's a bit runnier than is ideal but it's darn tasty. I've tried the sheets of leek but wasn't that impressed. That could just be my cooking, though.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
use courgette sliced thinly lengthways instead of pasta sheets. lots of mushrooms instead of meat .. yummmmm

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tried the leek version and it tasted great, but you couldn't cut it well. The Leeks all came off at once. Next time I will use individual dishes :)

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I tried the leek version and it tasted great, but you couldn't cut it well. The Leeks all came off at once. Next time I will use individual dishes :)

My wife made this around the time the Hairy Bikers made the programme, it was good but the leeks were a little chewy.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not great with leeks as the do stay too solid .. Courgette is better ..add the strips raw and they will be cooked fine

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It's not great with leeks as the do stay too solid .. Courgette is better ..add the strips raw and they will be cooked fine
Solid? I am surprised by this. When I saw the Hairy Bikers make this, they prepared leeks so that they were like wafer thin sheets then blanched them for 5 minutes. Is this what you did, or did you put them in whole - like building a raft? :confused:

Guess I will have to try it myself to find out. I made a lasagne once with disks of a big marrow. Tasted great, but collapsed so I agree with @seanj67 that individual ones are the best way forward.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had no problems with the leek, I don't use the outer green just the white and blanch it for 5 minutes like @Avocado Sevenfold said. I cook my lasagne slowly for about 45 minutes, I do prefer it with aubergine though.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I've had no problems with the leek, I don't use the outer green just the white and blanch it for 5 minutes like @Avocado Sevenfold said. I cook my lasagne slowly for about 45 minutes, I do prefer it with aubergine though.
Have you had any luck with getting you lasagne to stand up? Without wheat there didn't seem to be any glue to make mine sliceable.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had any luck with getting you lasagne to stand up? Without wheat there didn't seem to be any glue to make mine sliceable.
I make it the Italian way, it's more difficult without the pasta but, make your bol quite dry so there is just enough sauce to coat the meat, layer of bol then some chopped boiled egg, layer of thick cheese sauce them layer of whatever is your pasta, push it down slightly, if I was using real pasta I would push it down firmly, repeat twice more, bake in the oven about 160 in a fan oven for 40- 45 mins. Cool it then chill in the fridge overnight. It should slice cold into portions then either heat up in oven with extra cheese sauce or zap in the microwave.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just take the easy route = moussaka instead of lasagne

Everything is precooked (mince/tom/onion/garlic combo, aubergine and courgettes), then layered into the pan. No potato or pasta.
I top it with blobs of cream cheese, grated cheddar and a sprinkle of parmesan (which crunchifies it)

Then reheat by baking in oven til cheese is golden crunchy and the filling is heated through.

Freezes magnificently.

It ain't the traditional recipe, but it is lovely, and I don't regret losing the carbs at all.

I always think that making a low carb alternative may lead to disappointment, but making a new dish that combines the best low carb bits of various dishes, is bound to be a triumph. But then, I don't follow instruction well. ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:D:D
I just take the easy route = moussaka instead of lasagne

Everything is precooked (mince/tom/onion/garlic combo, aubergine and courgettes), then layered into the pan. No potato or pasta.
I top it with blobs of cream cheese, grated cheddar and a sprinkle of parmesan (which crunchifies it)

Then reheat by baking in oven til cheese is golden crunchy and the filling is heated through.

Freezes magnificently.

It ain't the traditional recipe, but it is lovely, and I don't regret losing the carbs at all.

I always think that making a low carb alternative may lead to disappointment, but making a new dish that combines the best low carb bits of various dishes, is bound to be a triumph. But then, I don't follow instruction well. ;)
I have saved this to cook for dinner tomorrow.
Just wiping the drool from the iPad screen.:D

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Solid? I am surprised by this. When I saw the Hairy Bikers make this, they prepared leeks so that they were like wafer thin sheets then blanched them for 5 minutes. Is this what you did, or did you put them in whole - like building a raft? :confused:

Guess I will have to try it myself to find out. I made a lasagne once with disks of a big marrow. Tasted great, but collapsed so I agree with @seanj67 that individual ones are the best way forward.
change solid for stringy .. but then I am making a vegetarian one .. poss the meat will make it seem different :bag:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Lots of delicious talk on this thread. I used to LOVE cannelloni. Wondering now if leeks would make good cannelloni. Will let you know if I ever try it :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lots of delicious talk on this thread. I used to LOVE cannelloni. Wondering now if leeks would make good cannelloni. Will let you know if I ever try it :)
That seems a possibility. Large leeks hollowed out. Will give that a try.