1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low-Carb Life Hacks

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Dillinger, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is that really a bad thing, considering what is being prescribed now? Dr Bernstein's book helped me learn that there was life after a diagnosis, and that what I do and eat can influence my condition in a major way. It made me realise that I am not a helpless victim of diabetes, after all!

• Like Like x 11
  2. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I made the same mistake when I started on the low carb diet!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

Love nuts, but am never tempted to binge on them.
    They kind of lose their charm after a handful.

The only exception to that are cashew nuts in black pepper.
    Those are daemonically moreish.

4. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I found I was starting to eat whole packs of salted roasted nuts, so I've stopped getting them. But I still eat a lot of other nuts, they don't particularly spike me, but they do add up the calories.

I'm also a great fruit lover, and don't actually think I could have so easily kept up low carbing if I couldn't have a bit most days.. Not eating it would be far worse than giving up bread and potatoes, etc - they were a no-brainer. I try to keep my fruit portions under strict control by limiting the amount I eat per day (I get just enough for the week) , use a small bowl to serve it up, and eat it with a teaspoon. Bowl and teaspoon definitely help me "believe" I'm getting a decent amount - I think I can be quite easily fooled sometimes... :p:D But using smaller plates, bowls, and spoons do help.

Robbity

• Like Like x 4
  5. VinnyJames

VinnyJames Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have a virus atm and I'm trying to up my carbs to fight it - weirdly I find it difficult so I just munch on a couple of chocolate bars.

When I'm well I can do less than 10g of carbs per day but that took hours of research.

6. Etty

Etty Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I think salted nuts are more of a problem- I'm alright with nuts in shells.
    I've learned that if I get excited about some food/recipe/meal, that is a warning sign. The best for me is to eat relatively few foods repeatedly, concentrating on quality not variety. Perhaps a little dull, but it's tasty none the less.
    This goes against recommended nutritional advice, but i think in the past, people must often have eaten like this.

7. Larissima

Larissima Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Why? How do carbs help fight a virus? Genuine question.

I'd try to strengthen my immune system, some Vit C & zinc maybe.

• Like Like x 2
  8. VinnyJames

Carbs turn to glucose (energy) so I figured it would help.

9. VinnyJames

Am taking multi vits too

10. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to eat a lot of fruit - maybe 3 pieces a day. I've cut out most of that, but long-term want to bring some more back, not just because I like it a lot (and it suits my digestion), but I love the no-preparation sort of packed lunch it gives me. So, tell me, how much are you eating, and what sorts of fruit?

• Like Like x 2
  11. freddy2

freddy2 Type 2 · BANNED

T2 and fructose don't mix, we convert a lot of glucose to fructose as it is, do we really need more from fruit?
    pick it up from the 17 minutes mark

• Like Like x 2
  12. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Around 50g (weight) a day at the moment - ( black-, blue-, rasp-, straw-) berries, a few cherries, occasionally rhubarb or kiwi fruit. In the summer I eat a bit more and include gooseberries and English plums and greengages, and fresh figs as treat. I can also manage about 1/3 apple and a couple of segments of orange occasionally. Most of it's eaten with either yoghurt, cream, nut crumble topping, and blueberries also go in ground almond muffins/sponge puddings.

Robbity

• Like Like x 6
  13. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

@VinnyJames, my glucose levels go up if I have a virus, infection, migraine, etc, so I wouldn't want to add any extra carbs... But whatever works for you!

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  14. Sucre Bleu

Sucre Bleu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I pose this is a low carb hack.
    giving up potatoes etc was fine for me,
    Sliced bread also not too bad
    But a crusty roll filled with left over roasted meat, a lick of mustard and salad was my well tolerated lunch of choice.
    Now maybe once a week I have one, and this is what I do.......
    Heat the roll in the oven till crispy all over, allow to cool a little then slice in half crossways and debulk the somewhat softer bread inside.
    You can get down to a real crispy shell, and if you want to check, weigh pre baking and post to see how much is left.
    you have quite a large inner place to stuff with, lettuce, salad of choice veges or egg salad, meat etc. Yum.,
    Sure its not an every day thing, but if you miss something like a bread roll, have at it,
    My house loves home made burgers, egg, fried onion and salad, all stuffed in a roll, mostly now I would rather have a small dollop of tomato sauce than the roll. So I think that is progress. Of course we use top quality lean mince and plenty of flavours as little fat does decrease the taste

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru

I always try and keep my bg as low as possible especially when I am ill.
    I figure if high bg lowers immunity and promotes skin infections, etc. then it probably isn't good for a cold or virus, either.

• Like Like x 10
  16. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A nut? A zealot? Gee. This man has soooooo earnt his stripes! T1, 80+, and still going. And his book is a classic. I can't imagine doing anything but respect him enormously to be honest. I am a bit shocked at seeing him referred to as a nut. (AND over his nut consumption!) (Understood tim - that you are referring to others considering Dr Bernstein to be a nut - not that you neccessarily think he is...)

• Like Like x 4
  17. AloeSvea

AloeSvea Type 2 · Well-Known Member

And where would we be without our beloved Aspergers/high functioning autists? Not on the net, for sure. Go neuro-diversity!

• Like Like x 9
    #37 AloeSvea, Dec 21, 2015 at 7:59 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2015
  18. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Absolutely.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

25g carbs/day for me. We all need to find our own daily carb level and the only way to do that is to experiment, test, record and evaluate.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

That works for me, too - even for ailments which you might think are completely not related to T2.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook