Low carb Protein powders? (Type2) best ones that don't spike BG.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hey folks, can we talk low carb protein powders, and get your recommendations?

I had the shock of my life using Protein World powders - turns out they were investigated because when they tested them, several investigations found one type contained over 3x the stated amout of carbs in them, yikes! Suffice to say, I don't use PW powder anymore!

I need to find a decent low carb powder for post gym fuel protein, that isn't going to sky rocket my BG - I'm trying to reduce mine before my 3mth review mid January. I don't need anything fancy, I'm not bodybuilding but I am going for a body transformation so I lift heavy and my diet is protein heavy which seems to be working for me with weight loss, fitness and it's currently keeping BG in line.

Any and all recommendations would be much appreciated.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Powders/Shakes. Arn't they the ultimate processed 'food'? I agree with BB, I raised the amount of protein in my diet by eating more beef and not stinting on the eggs and the cheese.

Reactions: IronLioness

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I use Pulsin’ pea protein powder if I’m a bit low for the day. At 80% protein, it’s the highest of the plant based sources and very low carb - I mix 30g with 400ml almond milk and some salted caramel flavour. I’ve not observed any impact on my BG levels.

246CEEEC-630C-4917-9029-3BCE850F6641.jpeg

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A lot of these processed proteins have amino acid that trigger insulin secretion directly in pancreatic beta cells. I tried a few of them in my low calorie dieting days, and found them to be massively Insulinogenic. (They triggered massive hunger and all that 'funky' hypo feeling too much insulin used to give me)
For those of us who not only want to consistently have BG in the normal range, that is problematic. Hyperinsulinemia is what eventually leads to IR, which then leads to having BG readings in the definitive T2DM threshold.
I steer clear of them.
Edited to correct a typo.

Last edited:

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Steak? Just a thought.. I wouldn't recommend any "powders" just proper food.
Hi BB, yup, agree with that too. I've sort of been powering up on chicken and or eggs but I work away a lot and a powder and shaker is just a bit easier/more accessible for me to take with me/obtain, especially for super early mornings or hotel/long stays.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Powders/Shakes. Arn't they the ultimate processed 'food'? I agree with BB, I raised the amount of protein in my diet by eating more beef and not stinting on the eggs and the cheese.
Yup agree, processed, but I'm smashing through 2-3 workouts a day at the moment and although trying to keep to fresh foods, chicken, eggs etc, for post workout, I'm finding I need something quick that doesn't need prep, and also the amount of chicken I buy, it's getting a hella expensive. Looking for a protein powder to to try and reduce costs but mainly for easy prep post workout.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I use Pulsin’ pea protein powder if I’m a bit low for the day. At 80% protein, it’s the highest of the plant based sources and very low carb - I mix 30g with 400ml almond milk and some salted caramel flavour. I’ve not observed any impact on my BG levels.

View attachment 29308
Pea protein, interesting, thanks Mel, I'll check this out today

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
A lot of these processed proteins have amino acid that trigger insulin secretion directly in pancreatic beta cells. I tried a few of them in my low carb dieting days, and found them to be massively Insulinogenic. (They triggered massive hunger and all that 'funky' hypo feeling too much insulin used to give me)
For those of us who not only want to consistently have BG in the normal range, that is problematic. Hyperinsulinemia is what eventually leads to IR, which then leads to having BG readings in the definitive T2DM threshold.
I steer clear of them.
Ahh, good to know this, thanks Brassy. The ones I've had before from My Protein, and even the Protein World one, all kept hunger at bay, but I'm now just a lot more wary of buying them, but they definitely help when I'm out and about on travels. Its not so easy getting hold of chicken and eggs etc at some times in my job.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Pea protein, interesting, thanks Mel, I'll check this out today
I get mine from Holland and Barrett. I bought a big bag about six months ago, and still haven’t used it all - so it’s expensive, but lasts a while. I’ve also used it in cooking.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I get mine from Holland and Barrett. I bought a big bag about six months ago, and still haven’t used it all - so it’s expensive, but lasts a while. I’ve also used it in cooking.
Great stuff. I think a trip to Holland and Barrett might be a good idea, see what they have.