1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carb snacking and type 1

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by helensaramay, Aug 12, 2019.

1. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

That is an interesting comment. I have never been advised to snack neither with diabetes or before I had diabetes. And with a pump, the issues you describe are definitely overcome.
    I just find it the way that suits my lifestyle to maintain a healthy body (no problems identified in blood tests, physically active and a stable weight with a BMI of 21) and Hb1AC between 45 and 50.
    The only time I do not snack is after my evening meal - I like to ensure I have no active bolus on board when I go to bed because I fine this can have unpredictable impact to my BG when I am not awake to manage it.

Are others with type 1 diabetes* advised to snack?

(*I will continue to fight against being labelled as a "diabetic" or a "T1D". I am a person with the condition; it does not define me ... even in terms of what I eat.)

2. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think snacking harks back to treatment before carb counting and dosing became prevalent. I think some medical staff are still suggesting this because not up to date. Was told a 10g snack would be fine. (Used to have a small apple during break at work especially during playground duty) ) It wasn’t until I started wearing the Libre I discovered there is no such thing as a free snack. Having said that I’m not really a snacker, never was before diagnosis and certainly don’t now. Most days it is 2 meals a day with a 16 hour gap between main meal and breakfast. No extras!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I was diagnosed back in 1971 I can vaguely remember having to have a "portion" (10g) of carbs between meals and a portion at around 8 pm for supper. Diabetes management was a LOT different back in the olden days lol

Not been advised to snack in the last 20 odd years thou!

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

The only time I was advised to snack was when they thought I was a T2 and I was waking up to a high number. I was told to try a carb snack right before bed to see if it would help. (I had already tried a protein snack and it didn’t help). It actually did help my morning numbers but who knows what it did a few hours after I was asleep!

But otherwise I haven’t been told to snack. I just like too! When I am out and about I usually don’t.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook