Low Carbers Anonymous...

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My name is Jo, and I am a low(ish) carber. And I eat wodges of butter straight from the tub. Who's got time for all that 'fat bomb' malarkey?

Raise your hands and say 'Amen!' if you feel me :)

Reactions: 9 people

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter from the... tub??? Surely you mean the wrapping, real butter doesn't come in a tub.

Reactions: 2 people

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Butter from the... tub??? Surely you mean the wrapping, real butter doesn't come in a tub.
Depends how snobby you're feeling, I suppose :)

I eat Lurpak Spreadable so yeah, it comes in a tub. Less messy and much less opportunity for rancidity all round. Don't get me wrong, I love the wrapped stuff too but the Lurpak is convenient and more than meets all my cream'n'salt needs...

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depends how snobby you're feeling, I suppose :)

I eat Lurpak Spreadable so yeah, it comes in a tub. Less messy and much less opportunity for rancidity all round. Don't get me wrong, I love the wrapped stuff too but the Lurpak is convenient and more than meets all my cream'n'salt needs...
LOL, I'm very snobbish about my butter! ;)

Seriously, I don't have anything to spread the butter on, so it doesn't need to be "spreadable"; I cut chunks for the pan or a slice to put on top of cheese.

Also, what do they put in it to make it spread easily? If it's vegetable oil, I don't want it, nor any chemical additives. If it's water, I don't want to pay for watered down butter!

EDIT: As for the rancidity, we go through 1 pack per week-10 days, so no danger of that :)

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And yet... I don't care. I like it, I'll eat it.

Anyway, it wasn't supposed to be a debate about 'real' butter versus 'butter'. It was more about eating straight butter. So all you butter snobs just butter out... :)
LOL, but that's just it - what you're eating is not straight butter! [I'm also a pedant] Nevertheless, enjoy your snack, and sorry to derail your thread :)

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
LOL, but that's just it - what you're eating is not straight butter! [I'm also a pedant] Nevertheless, enjoy your snack, and sorry to derail your thread :)
A pedant! isn't that a perversion:woot:
I love my butter too, and if I want to add things, I do it, not trust "big food" to to do it for me!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cook with butter eg omelettes but I don't eat baked jacket potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, bread or crispbreads so nothing to spread that yummy goodness on :(......

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook with butter eg omelettes but I don't eat baked jacket potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, bread or crispbreads so nothing to spread that yummy goodness on :(......
Who said you need to spread it on anything? :) I eat it as is, as a food in its own right!

littleweedz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sigh ... something else the diabetic nursie told me not to eat, that and cheese
It'd be quicker to list the stuff she said I was allowed to eat, than that on her 'red' list

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmm

Butter gets better and better the more salt there is in it.
Tescos Normandy Butter.
:wacky:

hose1975

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmm

Butter gets better and better the more salt there is in it.
Tescos Normandy Butter.
:wacky:
The French hypermarket chain Auchan has an own-brand butter with 3% added salt. Good times.

Despite apparently being chemical effluent Lurpak Spreadable has only 0.9% added salt but tastes much saltier than that.

But, @Brunneria, do you eat butter on its own?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The French hypermarket chain Auchan has an own-brand butter with 3% added salt. Good times.

Despite apparently being chemical effluent Lurpak Spreadable has only 0.9% added salt but tastes much saltier than that.

But, @Brunneria, do you eat butter on its own?

I've just snaffled 4 cubes of assorted posh cheese, nearly the same quantity of President salted butter (not salty enough) and 2 oatcakes. One of which broke under the combined butter/cheese burden.

Not a butter-on-its-own eater. But I can eat cream cheese by the spoon. And double cream. Does that count?

In our house any margarine variant (yes, that includes anything spreadable) is known as toxic waste or cart axle grease.
I was one of the lucky ones to see that 'how we make margarine' video back in the 80s. Haven't eaten any of the spreads since. :couchpotato: My snobbery on the subject has been called unbearable (by my Mr B), but somehow I cope with the burden. ;)

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
When husband got a job that finally paid much more, we threw out the cheapo oils and margarine and went for butter and olive oil as our first lifestyle improvement :D
To be honest I think that butter is actually lower cost than many of the alternative spreads here. Certainly a lot less than that of the "fancy" brand spreads. (Yep just checked the prices now, it's about $2.70 for 500g butter and $3.00 and upward for most of the alternative spreads).

I think it's due to butter having falling out of favour for many years due to the perceived health benefits of the vegetable oil spreads. Now that more people are leaning the truth about fats I suspect butter prices will probably rise though.