Low Carbing and Fats.

simply_h

Hello All,

Hope we are all well and fighting the fight.

When we low carb what is classed as good fats that work for us diabetics.

I know trans-fats are not classed as NOT a good fat.

How much fat should we be eating if we are say very low carbing (less than 30gram per day) opposed to say just low carbing (less than 150gram approx. per day).

As we need to get our energy from somewhere.

What types of fats are actually natural and actually good for us, in normal amounts?

Cheers

Simply_h

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
15-20% of your energy from protein, all the rest from fat.

So, on 2500kcal a day:
30g of carb = 5%
125g of protein = 20%
208g of fat = 75%

or

150g of carb = 25%
125g of protein = 20%
150g of fat = 55%

That's quite a range. Note that on the 150g of carb diet, you are eating as much carb as you are fat (by weight), but of course the fat contains much more energy.

Mileana

My personal (not scientistic) perspective is based on what feels good for my body.

That means I get lots of fish oils (salmon, tuna, fish oil supplements).

I get plenty of nuts especially almonds - they work very well for me as snacks for instance.

I also eat a c//p tonne of olives.

I am not scared of fatty meat, but I don't over-indulge - I prefer fish when possible.

I eat a lot of cheese and also quite a few eggs.

I don't hold back on the oily dressings and oil and butter when I cook.

I have the occasional avocado too.

I think my diet has become a merge of mediterranian and lchf, really. I tend to think I want something for my money, so any fat that comes with vitamin d, e, calcium etc I consider good options as opposed to those who don't.

But that's just me and my body agreed with each other.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sounds like a very sensible approac Milena.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I use all dairy products - butter, cheese, cream, milk; cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (which contains 16% saturated fat :lol: ); I eat most meats including bacon, without trimming the fat off, I eat plenty of oily fish, lots of low-carb veg/salads, and frequent avocados. Berry fruits in season, peaches occasionally (can't resist :oops: ), apricots and plums.

I avoid all manufactured foods though I will occasionally eat a low-carb ready meal (eg Tesco Finest - read the labels).

Viv 8)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
borofergie said:
15-20% of your energy from protein, all the rest from fat.

So, on 2500kcal a day:
30g of carb = 5%
125g of protein = 20%
208g of fat = 75%

or

150g of carb = 25%
125g of protein = 20%
150g of fat = 55%

That's quite a range. Note that on the 150g of carb diet, you are eating as much carb as you are fat (by weight), but of course the fat contains much more energy.

To me, 75% fat seems an enormous amount.
Unless, of course, the bulk of the diet is roughage from vegetables and so doesn't count for calories.

It makes me feel that you would have to live on a diet of cream and olive oil

I think I am more on low carb high protein because I am eating a lot of cold chicken, tomatoes and the like, with eggs and bacon or sausages for breakfast.

Can someone post a day's meals which fit the 75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carb profile just to help me understand quite what that involves?

Cheers

LGC

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
LittleGreyCat said:
To me, 75% fat seems an enormous amount.
Unless, of course, the bulk of the diet is roughage from vegetables and so doesn't count for calories.

It makes me feel that you would have to live on a diet of cream and olive oil

It is a large amount, but then 30g of carbohydrate a day is a tiny amount. I eat this, but I wouldn't recommend that anyone else does (although there are huge benefits if you can stick it). And remember, it's 75% by energy, it's only 57% be weight.

My diet is meat (fatty cuts if possible), eggs, salad and veg (mainly brocolli and spinach) plus I eat a lot of cream.

I think that somewhere around the 60 to 100g of carb is probably the sweet spot for diabetics, and about 160g a day mark for non-diabetics.

PSBuckshot

I eat most meats including bacon, without trimming the fat off, I eat plenty of oily fish, lots of low-carb veg/salads, and frequent avocados

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
PSBuckshot said:
I eat most meats including bacon, without trimming the fat off, I eat plenty of oily fish, lots of low-carb veg/salads, and frequent avocados.

Yeah, avocados and cheese, I eat lots of those too. I use both to bulk up my salads. I try and eat meat for breakfast or lunch, not both (because I don't want too much protein).

Mileana

For me, my daily goal of calories is somewhere around 1700-1900 kcals

Breakfast of: 1 egg, 2 rashers bacon, some cheese and 50g spinach to a scramble/omelette fried in butter.

Lunch of: Baby spinach and lettuce, feta cheese, smoked salmon about 100g, olives, bit of green bell pepper, oil/vinegar dressing.

Dinner: Pork chops in tomato/cream sauce with mushrooms, spring onion and brocolli.

Snacks: Almonds, bits of cheese (and my fish oil tablets, heh).

This brings me to 20g carb, 150 ish gram fat and 115 protein with 1800 kcals.

Mileana

That translates, it seems, to 4 percent of cals from carb, 72 percent from fat and 24 percent from protein.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mileana said:
That translates, it seems, to 4 percent of cals from carb, 72 percent from fat and 24 percent from protein.

Just goes to show that just because the %energy from fat is high - the food you are eating doesn't have to be "fatty". Your diet is composed entirely of healthy things (even the bacon).

owain2

The sad fact is it's getting harder to find meat that contains more than a trace of fat. More and more the supermarkets and butchers are removing all but o eighth of an inch of fat.

I asked the butcher in Morrison's about this and was told it was due to orders from Head Office following government pressure!

Hot Tip: Ask at the counter for meat with fat and they will supply it.

Owain

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
PSBuckshot said:
I eat most meats including bacon, without trimming the fat off, I eat plenty of oily fish, lots of low-carb veg/salads, and frequent avocados

That's a direct quote from my post above. Do I take that as a compliment? :D

Welcome to the forum, by the way :wave:

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
owain2 said:
The sad fact is it's getting harder to find meat that contains more than a trace of fat. More and more the supermarkets and butchers are removing all but o eighth of an inch of fat.

I asked the butcher in Morrison's about this and was told it was due to orders from Head Office following government pressure!

Hot Tip: Ask at the counter for meat with fat and they will supply it.

Owain

Living 16 miles from the nearest supermarket, I don't have that problem. I have 3 local butchers in a 10-mile radius; they all buy local meat, and butcher it for me exactly how I want it. :thumbup:

Viv 8)