1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low carbing and hair thinning

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Mandy p, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Mandy p

Mandy p Type 2 · Member

I have been low carbing for a year now. My Hb1ac is down to 38 and I have lost a stone in weight. I am eating lots of veg and protein and have far less indigestion than before. However my hair is thinning. Could this be because I am not getting some specific minerals or vitamins because I no longer eat cereals, starch veg and a lot less fruit? Should I take a multi bit or some other supplements?

2. Amethyst579

Amethyst579 HCP · Well-Known Member

I think hair loss in women can sometimes be due to hormonal fluctuations eg post-pregnancy, peri-menopause/post-menopause. If that's not the case for you would your GP be prepared to do blood tests to check for deficiencies? I noticed a lot of hair loss, but wasn't sure if it was due to time of life/stress/something else so take a daily multi-vit/mineral just in case.

3. Gezzabelle

Gezzabelle Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Hair loss in women can be due to many factors....hormones, alopecia often brought on by stress, diet and a lot of other reasons. It usually sorts itself out but you could ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels as that can cause it too.

4. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

My understanding is that calorie restriction (no matter which diet you are following) can cause hair loss.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ian DP

Ian DP LADA · Well-Known Member

I am finding the opposite. Since low carbing my hair has started to grow back a little. I have more hair now than 5 years ago, still not a lot, but definitely more.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jo123

Jo123 · Well-Known Member

I low carb and have no issues with my hair. Do you eat berries? They are a lower carb fruit that some can tolerate and are supposed to be full of nutrients.

7. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid Type 2 · Well-Known Member

If you are loosing a lot of hair then you may be deficient in some vitamin or mineral so maybe a word with your doctor would be a good idea

8. zand

zand Type 2 · Master

I lost some hair when doing low calorie diets.

@Pinkorchid I would agree with you in principle, but am unconvinced that the average GP knows anything about nutrition.

@Mandy p If you have the money I would try a naturopath because at least they know what various vitamins do for us. Oh, a thought....are you eating enough fat? When I was using low fat products my hair was much thinner and more brittle than it is now with LCHF.

• Like Like x 5
  9. anniehi41

anniehi41 Other · Well-Known Member

My hospital Dietician recommended Selenium ACE tablets for my thinning hair, took a while but it worked for me. You can get them at Boots. :)

10. VikasGupta114032

VikasGupta114032 Other · Member

You should concentrate on a high protein diet, which will be good for keeping hair's more healthy and strong.

11. LucySW

LucySW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Mandy, It's very common on low carb. It's happened to me too. If the hair thinning is due to low carb/ weight loss shock, then according to all the documented stuff, it will grow back. Mine has started to grow in again, actually.

That's nothing to do with hormonal change or alopecia.

Biotin and B vitamins may also be good as extra things to take, but basically I think you have to wait.

You could look at Chris Kesser's Paleo blog on nutrition, resistant starch etc. He's good.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I make a huge effort to look after my hair but it too was thinning. I figured it was the diabetes. Took Perfectil, didn't make any difference to my hair but improved my nails. But now mine does seem to be growing again. I found a really cheap Biotin and Collagen thickening shampoo at Family Bargains which works, as well.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook