Low carbing and hair thinning

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing for a year now. My Hb1ac is down to 38 and I have lost a stone in weight. I am eating lots of veg and protein and have far less indigestion than before. However my hair is thinning. Could this be because I am not getting some specific minerals or vitamins because I no longer eat cereals, starch veg and a lot less fruit? Should I take a multi bit or some other supplements?

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think hair loss in women can sometimes be due to hormonal fluctuations eg post-pregnancy, peri-menopause/post-menopause. If that's not the case for you would your GP be prepared to do blood tests to check for deficiencies? I noticed a lot of hair loss, but wasn't sure if it was due to time of life/stress/something else so take a daily multi-vit/mineral just in case.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hair loss in women can be due to many factors....hormones, alopecia often brought on by stress, diet and a lot of other reasons. It usually sorts itself out but you could ask your doctor to check your thyroid levels as that can cause it too.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My understanding is that calorie restriction (no matter which diet you are following) can cause hair loss.

Reactions: 3 people

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I am finding the opposite. Since low carbing my hair has started to grow back a little. I have more hair now than 5 years ago, still not a lot, but definitely more.

Reactions: 2 people

Jo123

I low carb and have no issues with my hair. Do you eat berries? They are a lower carb fruit that some can tolerate and are supposed to be full of nutrients.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are loosing a lot of hair then you may be deficient in some vitamin or mineral so maybe a word with your doctor would be a good idea

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I lost some hair when doing low calorie diets.

@Pinkorchid I would agree with you in principle, but am unconvinced that the average GP knows anything about nutrition.

@Mandy p If you have the money I would try a naturopath because at least they know what various vitamins do for us. Oh, a thought....are you eating enough fat? When I was using low fat products my hair was much thinner and more brittle than it is now with LCHF.

Reactions: 5 people

anniehi41

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Pump
My hospital Dietician recommended Selenium ACE tablets for my thinning hair, took a while but it worked for me. You can get them at Boots. :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Mandy, It's very common on low carb. It's happened to me too. If the hair thinning is due to low carb/ weight loss shock, then according to all the documented stuff, it will grow back. Mine has started to grow in again, actually.

That's nothing to do with hormonal change or alopecia.

Biotin and B vitamins may also be good as extra things to take, but basically I think you have to wait.

You could look at Chris Kesser's Paleo blog on nutrition, resistant starch etc. He's good.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make a huge effort to look after my hair but it too was thinning. I figured it was the diabetes. Took Perfectil, didn't make any difference to my hair but improved my nails. But now mine does seem to be growing again. I found a really cheap Biotin and Collagen thickening shampoo at Family Bargains which works, as well.