Low Carbing and indigestion

Mandy p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Prior to adopting a low carb diet I would regularly ( say every few weeks) suffer from indigestion. It would particularly be a problem at night if I had eaten late, eaten cheese or something creamy. I had also begun to avoid acidic white wines. I always kept a gaviscon in my bag and by my bed. However since low carbing this has not happened once...in spite of more cheese and cream eating. Even the wine is now tolerated. I have not taken a single gaviscon in the 4.5 months I have been low carbing. Has anyone else experienced this extra gain? Could it be that I was gluten intolerant and didn't realise ?

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I too used to regularly get indigestion, but not anymore. Since low carbing ive been so much healthier. Recently i was rather naughty and after eating some biscuits got indigestion all day, good incentive to get back on the wagon.

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Yes I am just the same,I havent needed to tale Gaviscon since I started on the LCHF way of eating,I always thought it was fat but relise now it was carbs,I do eat one slice of brown bread each day and often one small potato with my evening meal,but I have butter and cream,Gin and slimline tonic,I cook with olive oil.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Also my LDL has gone from 2.5 to 2 so its not doing me any harm.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too.

Don't know if it was gluten or candida (wheat was the main culprit). But it has gone. :happy:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, never really had indigestion...and still don't :)

Chris P Bacon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffered almost everyday with severe indigestion, since LCHF it's completely cleared up :)

Which is strange as I always assumed it was fat that gave me the indigestion

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mandy p , you still could be gluten intolerant , or even what Brunneria mentioned.
You can easily get a test to ensure all is ok.
The only reason for my comment is that in a few people that used Gaviscon indicated a sign that gluten intolerance may be the culprit.
It is good that your LCHF has helped enormously, yet best get a test just in case the gluten or wheat etc; is creating a small problem that your not aware of. :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oddly enough, since I cut the fat, lost weight, I also lost all the indigestion as well.

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm absolutely the same. Gaviscon every day and blamed fatty food. Since LCHF NO indigestion at all part from when I have low carb bread. All I can think is that it must have been wheat.