Low carbing, but...

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks, I hope someone can help me please? I have been low carbing for a couple of months, but I am not truly sure on the ratios of protein, fat and fibre. I have a lot of weight to lose, about 8 stone to go, already lost 4 stone though. I usually manage to stick to 50g carbs a day and around 1000 calories, sometimes a few more calories if I have managed some exercise. So... what numbers should I be aiming for for my fats, proteins and fibre??? Any advice would be a great help please?!
I am on 500mg metformin, once a day. Just finished my first months supply of Glucient SR, this new prescription is now called metabit sr. The leaflets in each pack read slightly differently.. glucient sr says, avoid ketoidosis and take extra care with diuretics, now the metabit sr says, don't get in ketosis and take extra care if taking bendroflumethiazide, which I have been taking for over a year, well before my diagnosis of type 2 in late December /January this year! I am beginning to feel a bit of a guinea pig! Is anyone else in the same or similar position? I am not due for a blood test, to check my kidney function, liver function and cholesterol levels until the beginning of April. Do any of you folks have any advice with this issue please?
Looking forward to reading your observations... thank you, in advance ☺

Reactions: 2 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi folks, I hope someone can help me please? I have been low carbing for a couple of months, but I am not truly sure on the ratios of protein, fat and fibre. I have a lot of weight to lose, about 8 stone to go, already lost 4 stone though. I usually manage to stick to 50g carbs a day and around 1000 calories, sometimes a few more calories if I have managed some exercise. So... what numbers should I be aiming for for my fats, proteins and fibre??? Any advice would be a great help please?!
I am on 500mg metformin, once a day. Just finished my first months supply of Glucient SR, this new prescription is now called metabit sr. The leaflets in each pack read slightly differently.. glucient sr says, avoid ketoidosis and take extra care with diuretics, now the metabit sr says, don't get in ketosis and take extra care if taking bendroflumethiazide, which I have been taking for over a year, well before my diagnosis of type 2 in late December /January this year! I am beginning to feel a bit of a guinea pig! Is anyone else in the same or similar position? I am not due for a blood test, to check my kidney function, liver function and cholesterol levels until the beginning of April. Do any of you folks have any advice with this issue please?
Looking forward to reading your observations... thank you, in advance ☺
Hello, Sorry I cant advise on the medications but well done on your weight loss, that's fantastic :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, well done on the magnificent weight loss. If you have managed to lose 4 stones already, it seems you have got the balance of your carbs and cals right. Why change things at this stage unless your blood sugars aren't coming down enough. Is that the case?

As for fiber, you need to eat as much as you can. There is no upper limit as far as I know, but too little isn't good for our systems. If you feel you aren't eating enough, then adding milled flaxseed to yogurts, soups, stews etc. is a good plan. I mix a tablespoon full, piled high and falling off the edges, to my full fat yogurts, mix it all in and you don't know it's there.

I suggest you speak to your GP about the medications. I wouldn't be happy in your circumstances.

Reactions: 4 people

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Bluetit1802, do you think that I would be better off without metformin? I am wondering how to put it to my gp? My levels are averaging 6.8 on the metformin, yet before the metformin, I was getting average 5.5-6.5! I understand that metformin can help reduce the fatty liver problem, but I don't want to damage my kidneys, that's yet another scary thing to have in the back of my mind. I am struggling emotionally, and the support available in the Highlands, is pretty non existent
I am so grateful for this forum, it gives me some hope that I can get myself under control. Have you ever been on metformin? Can you just come off it and drop the carbs right down, to get better blood results?

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tip about the flax by the way... but is there an upper limit for protein intake for low carbing?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hesitate to mention this, because it looks to me like you have a winning weightloss combo going on as you are, and if you start messing with it, it might halt.

But there is a nutritional calculator that may shed some light. It is intended for people who low carb and want to be in or near ketosis, so I think you should carefully check those drugs out before you implement anying. But it will let you play with macronutrient ratios, on the wee calculator, and the rest of the site will give you great info about T2 and the myths and realities, if you feel like reading up on it.

the site is www.bloodsugar101.com
and the nutritional calculator is here
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php

But I strongly urge you to write down exactly what you are doing NOW, that works, before you make any changes. I made a few tweaks to my diet a few months ago, and I seem to have subtracted 'the magic ingredient' - have been plateaued ever since!

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hesitate to mention this, because it looks to me like you have a winning weightloss combo going on as you are, and if you start messing with it, it might halt.

But there is a nutritional calculator that may shed some light. It is intended for people who low carb and want to be in or near ketosis, so I think you should carefully check those drugs out before you implement anying. But it will let you play with macronutrient ratios, on the wee calculator, and the rest of the site will give you great info about T2 and the myths and realities, if you feel like reading up on it.

But I strongly urge you to write down exactly what you are doing NOW, that works, before you make any changes. I made a few tweaks to my diet a few months ago, and I seem to have subtracted 'the magic ingredient' - have been plateaued ever since!
Thank you for your input Brunneria, I will definitely be checking those links out! I think to put my mind at rest about the meds., I will see if I can get a telephone consultation with my gp next week. Must admit that my weight loss has slowed down since starting the metformin! I thought that it might help me lose faster, but that doesn't seem to be the case?! For me anyhew..

Sutherlandlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wow... many many thanks for those links!! There's some excellent reading to be had isn't there?! I can already see which way to go regarding the amount of fats and proteins, although I have been losing weight, I am not quite hitting the right numbers for fat intake, i.e. too low, and a bit too much protein! Now I can tweak and hopefully get into ketosis properly. It looks like the extra protein has been affecting my blood sugars, and causing them to be a bit higher than before. It's making a lot of sense to me... big hugs.. for your help, support and advice!!! ☺

Reactions: 4 people