LOW CARBING HB1AC INFO NEEDED

caitycakes

Hi everyone,

I have been low carbing for about three weeks now and went to the clinic to get my hb1ac done. I was diagnosed on 10 july 2008 type 1. My result came back at 7%. Am I right in thinking that since it's not quite three months since my diagnosis that the high results from diagnosis (13.4%) and the stupid "plenty of complex carbohydrates diet" will be included in this result? If so I will be well chuffed as this will mean that if I keep going the way I am I should get a much lower reading in January when I get it done next.

Please, someone tell me that I have got this right!!!!!

caitycakes x

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Way to go Caity! that's excellent.Yes you are right.The Hba1c spans 90 days so you're last reading would be at the tail end of it.13 down to 7 ,who says low carb doesn't work?!! :D

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Outstanding Caity! Yes, you've sent your HbA1c plummeting very quickly, despite having to endure the compex-carb-quackery at first. I think you'll see even more progress next time if you keep it up.
I'm predicting 5's, no sweat.

All the best,

fergus

wpaisley

I dont understand this low carb diet. I have a high carb diet but low GI and it works fine. We have to have carbs or we get sick. I consume vast amounts of vegetables. My last HbA1c was 6.4%

ChocFish

Hello wpaisley

Your Hb1ac is still a little too high, but well done on managing so well on your high carb/low GI diet, those of us that are doing low carb have found that we dont manage good control on higher carb or low GI, therefore we attempted low carb.
Personally I find that if I have too many carbs, whilst my sugars are not affected now, I am just not as alert and really lethargic and sometimes get a headache, it seems my body doesnt want any more than 150 a day.

The idea is to be flexible, open minded and go with whatever it is works for you and helps you to control your bg, keeping it at a healthy non-diabetic level.

Can you please give us an idea of what you are eating, like a typical daily food intake please, also do you take any medication and exercise?

All the best

Karen

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
wpaisley said:
I dont understand this low carb diet. I have a high carb diet but low GI and it works fine. We have to have carbs or we get sick. I consume vast amounts of vegetables. My last HbA1c was 6.4%

Welcome to the forum, wpaisley,I'm glad that your diet is working well for you.There are those on here far better qualified and knowledgeable than me who may explain to you about low carbs and that no,you don't get sick if you don't eat a lot of carbs.no one on here says don't eat carbs.just eat a reduced amount of carbs.How much ...well that's where the discussions come in,some eat a lower amount than others.however,your diet is working for you and that is what matters.You will find lots of info on diabetes on this forum .have a good look round.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
wpaisley said:
Hi wpaisley,
You are absolutely right - we would get sick without carbohydrates. However, there are good and bad carbs. The good carbs are those that are present in vegetables, fruit, some seeds and nuts. These foods contain all the minerals, vitamins and fibre that our bodies need to remain healthy. The bad carbs are those that provide starch and very little else. These are sugars, wheat products, rice and potatoes. They are often referred to as "empty carbs" because they are simply fillers that add nothing to your general health.

The GI (or glycaemic index) of a food is simply a guide as to how quickly the carbs in that food convert into sugar in your blood. High GI foods convert to sugar very quickly (usually within 15 minutes of eating), medium GI foods convert to sugar within 45 minutes and low GI foods can take an hour or more to convert. Nearly all the "good" carb foods fall into the low GI bracket, but unfortunately that doesn't mean that all low GI foods are good for you - there are some breads that are regarded as low GI, but will give you the same amount of goodness as you would get eating a slice of cardboard!