Low carbohydrate meat + fish free recipes

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really need to improve my diet, it's really not very good at the moment. I should cook more and a greater range of things, does anyone know where I could find some easy to cook low carbohydrate recipes with no meat or fish (rennet and other animal derivatives are fine)?

A lot of the low carb stuff I see includes a lot of meat or fish, and a lot of recipe books etc don't say about how much carbohydrate is in stuff. I've got a book about low carb stuff but it's just got how much carbohydate is in different types of food not whole recipes, but I really need something with whole recipes in, I'm really bad at thinking of what to cook.

To give you an idea about how much I dislike cooking, I often envy my dog, she has dried food, it would be so easy if they made that for people, you'd never need to cook or worry about what you should eat, all you'd need to do was weigh yourself then measure out the right amount of food!

ChocFish

http://www.low-carb.org.uk/links.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/vegeta ... ources.htm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Low-Carb-Vegeta ... 1862056765

http://www.lowcarb-recipes.net/recipes/ ... egetarian/

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipes/searchr ... Vegetarian

http://www.lowcarbiseasy.com/support.htm

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/Title/9780749926984

Here are a few links for you to explore, I am afraid you will have to start cooking some, can you do scrambled eggs or boiled eggs, then do a veg stir fry with it, throw in a few nuts and seeds, thats done in about 10-15 minutes

Or soups are done quickly too, I made a 10 veg soup yesterday, just throw it all in a pot, add stock and seasoning, simmer till tender, puree with a stick blender, add cream if you want - ready, it cooks itself.

Veggie bake, just scrub/clean/peel a few veggies, whatever you like, put into a buttered baking dish, drizzle with a bit of oil, add herbs if you want, add seasoning, some seame seeds, bake the veg in the oven for about half an hour depending which veggies you use, heat a bit of cream, add grated cheese, seasoning, pinch of nutmeg, bit of mustard, pour over the veg, bake on high heat till its brown and bubbling - its easy and again, not much cooking involved there.

Hope you find something amongst that lot, if not maybe you can find a low carb vegetarian dog food, hmmmm might even be quite tasty....:)

All the best

Karen

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you really care so little about food, you could try the dog kibble. Our nutritional requirements are similar to dogs :D
Otherwise, set asidde a time to cook. do you have any children about, that would enjoy joining in? cook loads and freeze a number of meals. If you are meat and fish free, try TVP and cheese dishes and eggy things. I'll put the alternative cauliflower cheese recipe on the recipes board

Katharine

To give you an idea about how much I dislike cooking, I often envy my dog, she has dried food, it would be so easy if they made that for people, you'd never need to cook or worry about what you should eat, all you'd need to do was weigh yourself then measure out the right amount of food!HLW

What about becoming an astronaut?

I think I'll have to report to Jamie Oliver !

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the links Karen, useful reading! I didn't realise there're so many low carb veggie cookbooks, I'll have to add one to my christmas list I think. I didn't think about soup, that's easy to make. Sadly I hate eggs, or those would be a great idea.

hanadr said:
If you really care so little about food, you could try the dog kibble. Our nutritional requirements are similar to dogs :D
haha I think I might pass on that!

hanadr said:
Otherwise, set asidde a time to cook. do you have any children about, that would enjoy joining in? cook loads and freeze a number of meals. If you are meat and fish free, try TVP and cheese dishes and eggy things. I'll put the alternative cauliflower cheese recipe on the recipes board
Nope no children. Currently I'm staying in a student flat while at uni, which doesn't help as I can't leave stuff out in the kitchen to deal with later, and the other students don't keep it that clean (though I've seen worse!), at home it's easier. TVP?

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
TVP stands for Texturised vegetable protein, ie Quorn/tofu. I was vegetarian for 7 years before I had my son, now the only meat we both eat is chicken (and both of us hate fish). Try any of Rose Elliot's books, she has some good ideas for no frills meals (even students should be able to manage it!) :mrgreen:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah ok, I thought it might be something like tofu etc but couldn't work out what it stood for exactly!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Rose Elliott's LOW CARB VEGETARIAN is to be highly recommended.

Roasting (with healthy fats like extra virgin olive oil *EVOO*) vegetables miraculously improves their flavour and desireability!! For me at least ...

For protein I use quorn based products and am just going to start trying the Grassingtons GARDEIN (a contracted form of garden + protein one assumes??) as well as generic vegetarian burgers and sausages. Morrisons veggie sausages are BRILLIANT!

If you hate eggs, it's worth thinking about trying egg whites for their nutritional value /// I buy mine bulk sized ambient store and then portion into small tubs for freezing. A omelette made with egg white as opposed to whole egg is entirely different :)

All the best ...

PS try steaming and mashing cauliflower (I throw in butter, cream and sometimes grated cheese!) hmmmmmm

J/xxx

SilverAndEbony

I'd forgotten all about Rose Elliot!
I must have few of her books knocking around from when I used to try and cook veggie food as a student. Turned into good old fashioned chilli and spag bol! I did discover spicy food though..
I'll have to look for her low carb book. An ideal Christmas present, I think!

SilverAndEbony

I've just ordered a couple of Rose Elliott's cook books - it'll give me something read over Christmas while trying to avoid looking at the bowl of chocolates place in front of me!
May even give a good hint to my in-laws too!

I shouldn't be mean. They are totally lovely people, and I love them.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I'm sure you'll enjoy the books.

I have some of Rose Elliots older books which are high carb recipes throughout ... mind you - haveing been veggie for over 20years ... they date back a bit lol ...

:)

enjoy the almond bark!

J/xxx

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've asked my dad to get me a cookbook for christmas, he's vegetarian so hopefully he'll get me a good one!

re: egg whites, it's the egg white I don't like, I really can't stand them, I don't know why, I'm just fussy it seems!

Jem

Dislikes
aaaaah we're all fussy in our own ways I guess ... for me - handling fresh eggs, whole or whites only, is always a drama and I end up washing my hands between the cracking of each egg, it's so sad it's almost painfully funny! ... takes a while to cook eggy things LOL :lol: ...

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oops, sorry I meant to make my previous post a new thread (entitled 'Fatty Livers') under the Low Carb forum. Could any moderator/administrator please move it for me. Sorry, what an idiot I am!!
Sue