Low carbs and running

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
In a rash moment I've agreed to run a half marathon in March next year. I've been training for a couple of months and am running 5k ok, but need to push to longer distances. I'm controlling my Diabetes through Metformin and a relatively low carb diet, but have been given conflicting advice on how to manage carbs before and after running. My doc says I should drink 1/2 diluted energy drinks if I'm running for longer than an hour and a half, but othewise water is enough My trainer says half a banana before and after any run of more than 30mins.

I don't run terribly fast, so 5k takes about 45 mins. I don't feel completely knackered anymore (!), but do feel ravenously hungry afterwards, even if I drink lots of water. I'm loathe to eat carbs, but my worry is that I may have to eat more to cope with much longer distances.

Any suggestions?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think that you are going to have to experiment with carbs both before and during your training.If possible use your meter to find out what the results are on your glucose levels.
At the moment you aren't out for long but for the half marathon you are going to be out for at least 3 hours so you may find you have to use both.(incidently you can make an energy drink by diluting orange juice, posssibly adding some sugar , adding a pinch of salt, this way you can vary the carb content yourself)
My own experiences probably won't be that useful as I use insulin and don't low carb but I think this
article gives some good advice on sports/diabetes and low carbing. Its written by someone with type 1 but who has done a huge amount of research into exercise and diabetes in general.
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/compon ... e&Itemid=8

Good luck in your half marathon.
Keep us up to date with how your trainings going.

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
If anyone wants to know how my training is going, I write a blog called 'the Fat Diabetic Runner' on facebook!

Incidentally, I am running for Diabetes Uk.