Low GI bread and cereal.

donnamum

I have been advised to give my daughter a low GI breakfast.

Any ideas of which bread and cereal are low GI.

Donna

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Donna,

I'm afraid low GI and breakfast cereals are kind of mutually exclusive! The power of the food industry, the profit margins in processed cereal crops, and the convenience of a packet of ready-to-eat starch have made breakfast cereals a huge success for the manufacturers. I think they've been little short of a disaster for consumers health though.
They are enormously high in carbohydrate and are not very compatible with normal blood sugars for that reason. It's tough with kids, though, and I know that because I have 4 of my own.
Mine love scrambled eggs as an alternative, when I'm organised enough to knock it up for them. There's also a very low-carb bread recipe of mine on the Food forum which you could try.

All the best,

fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ally,

No, the kids don't 'low-carb' as such. It wouldn't be reasonable to restrict their food choices, and as anyone with kids will testify, if you push too hard in one direction, they'll push back just as hard in the other. We do talk about it with them though. It's probably a kind of abuse!
They certainly eat less junk than their peers, for whatever reason. They are strangers to the chippy and don't eat the volume of sugar and starch some of our friends kids seem to put away.
But, no, they haven't been brainwashed by their twisted despotic father so there's no need for that anonymous call to social services just yet. :wink:
What my eldest tells me is that the less starch he eats, the less hungry and the less inclined to eat it he becomes. He has always had a very sweet tooth though but realises it's something he can unlearn by eating less of the stuff. A work in progress.

All the best,

fergus