1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Low GI cereals?

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by chl0ejasmine, May 25, 2015.

1. chl0ejasmine

chl0ejasmine Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi everyone

I'm getting a bit bored of having omelettes for breakfast every morning, but the porridge I used to buy would not bring my levels down to normal, never mind how much insulin I gave myself.

I was wondering what cereals work for you guys and keep your levels in normal range?

• Like Like x 2
  2. DeejayR

DeejayR Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

For some reason wholegrain oats (groats) soaked overnight in a thermos of hot water and then added to other stuff is ok for me. I use variously chia seeds, flax seeds, berries, butter, coconut oil, sweetener, almond milk and double cream and sometimes the whole lot at once. Oh, and mixed nuts. Very satisfying. I assume the fat content spreads the sugar load. Well over 30 carbs per half-litre bowl I think and the only high-carb recipe I deliberately eat.

• Like Like x 2
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Porridge, but not the instant variety like Ready Brek as these are highly processed/milled and can spike bg levels badly.

If you try porridge again look for Pinhead, Rough-Cut or Irish Oats as these are lower gi and take longer to digest, I also add some fats in the way of seeds (pumpkin, linseeds & sunflower) to the mix as well as some Greek Yogurt and Blueberries.

• Like Like x 2
  4. chl0ejasmine

Thank you both! @noblehead Which brands would you recommend?

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Holland & Barrett do a few, one is Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats or there's Prewetts Course Oats that I've used several times now, the brand I'm using at the moment is Flavavan's Irish Organic Jumbo Oats which I purchased from Sainsbury's, but there's a lot to choose from so have a look around.

6. chl0ejasmine

I have the flavavan oats which you pick in the microwave for 2 minutes - would they still be causing me to spike?

7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Not sure which variety of oats they are, I know Flahaven do a few and yours look like the highly processed instant type, the one I'm using takes a while to cook thoroughly in the pan as the oats are quite big.

8. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I have one tblspoon of hot oat cereal, one tablespoon of oatbran microwaved with some milk and water. Then add one dessertspn of milled flax seed. It has a few carbs in it but doesn't cause me to spike. I also have bran flakes and add nuts and, if I've got them, blueberries which I have with ffat milk.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook