Low GI fruit helps improve HbA1c

Cowboyjim

Some more good news!
Low GI fruit helps improve HbA1c and CHD risk factors in Type 2 diabetics

http://www.incirculation.net/NewsIt...e-HbA1c-and-CHD-risk-fact.aspx?usechannel=DIA

MedWire News: Consumption of low glycemic index (GI) fruit, such as apples, pears, and berries, is associated with improvements in glycemic control and coronary heart disease (CHD) risk factors, show study findings.
It gets better, it claims that HD lipoprotein cholesterol was significantly increased by 7.3%, systolic blood pressure decreased by 4.0%..... and 10-year CHD risk reduced by 13.0%.
I'm off down the market! 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good read Cowboy!

I always try and eat at least 3 pieces of fruit a day so this is encouraging news indeed! :D

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Nigel

I eat fruit too, all part of my balanced diet. There aren't really any fruits that are taboo for me - I just have small amounts of any that are high GI. That's why I prefer a low GI/GL method. Moderation and choice.
I love bananas and usually have about 5 a week mainly for the potassium benefit as its better than taking a pill ! Plenty of others too such as peaches, nectarines, apples, pineapple, are all part of my diet, nothing is really taboo just rationed.

Its a pity not everybody can manage certain fruits - one of lifes little pleasures I think.

anniep

I wish I could eat fruit, but it either spikes my BG or triggers my IBS :cry: . All I can eat is an occasional small banana as long as there no other significant carb with it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
anniep said:
I wish I could eat fruit, but it either spikes my BG or triggers my IBS :cry: . All I can eat is an occasional small banana as long as there no other significant carb with it.

Nothing wrong with a banana as they are a good source of fibre, they are also high in potassium which can help lower blood pressure. I eat one everyday and occasionally have two........just love bananas! :)

Nigel

anniep

I love bananas too, but as I said more than a small one is too much for my system. I have tried berries such as blueberries and they don't effect my BG, but they give me the runs if I eat more than about 6 of them! My system just doesn't handle fruit for one reason or another. :cry:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have kept my HbA1cs in the 5s for some time now[years] and I have to be careful with fruit as it pushes my bg up a bit. Ican eat a few berries, a couple of grapes[literally] or half an apple, but any more puts me over target.
It's a pity about grapes, because I've harvested dozens of bunches from my vine and they will mostly go to making grape jelly for the grandchildren.
Hana
I can and do eat LOADS of veggies

iHs

As a type 1 I have always been able to eat bananas, pineapple and apple without too much raise with my bg levels. Bananas for me are virtually free carb wise. Not sure why really :?

Another good treat for me is BLACK grapes. They too dont do anything to my bg. My mate who also uses insulin is also finding them ok. At the moment they are still available in some supermarkets :)

Be interesting to see if anybody else is also able to eat them. They taste lovely and are seedless.