low :(

faeoj

sitting in the library in uni researching things for my dissertation then boom a low out of nowhere! 2.8! luckily my mate had a bottle of lucozade! I need a day off from diabetes!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Re: low :(

faeoj said:
sitting in the library in uni researching things for my dissertation then boom a low out of nowhere! 2.8! luckily my mate had a bottle of lucozade! I need a day off from diabetes!

Hello faeoj

Unfortunately diabetes is a condition that never ever sleeps .
Neither will it allow us a day off nor a holiday from it .

It can be relentless at times dragging us low both in lowered BG levels
and low in confidence too .
The job of maintaining it at steady safe levels is constant effort required alone .
The journey is a solo one for most of us ...
Not easy and can be hard at times too .

This is how support here can help so much :thumbup:

You can feel others will know/understand exactly how you feel and have to cope daily with diabetes .
You were very lucky today with your friend having some lucozade handy for you :D

Hope you are feeling improved now .
Sometimes a heavy hypo can leave you feeling washed out for a bit of time afterwards .

Do let us all know how things go .

Anna .

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Don't want to sound like a nag, but type 1s should always carry a source of fast acting carbs with them. It could easilly be a life and death situation.

faeoj

id just had lunch about an hour or so before and planned on grabbing something quick before next lecture but didn't realise I was so low before lunch :(
thanks for the support anyway! I usually have dextrose tablets but finished them and forgot to buy more but I got them yesterday!

faeoj

hi Anna thanks for your reply it made me smile after a horrid day! I am really lucky that she is a lucozade addict and comes in handy a lot haha! felt rotten for the rest of the day but seem to be ok today in range all day so far! think I just needed somewhere to have a moan! x

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Always keep a backup for the backup! If you have an unexplained hypo, there's an increased chance of another one in a few hours! I try to avoid taking things out of my emergency kit if possible, e.g. eat part of lunch or buy a soft drink. That also helps avoid me forgetting to refill my emergency supplies.

rachy0121

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being diabetic!!

i had a hypo once where i was 2.0 when i got in and checked. i was out walking the dog, no mobile, nothing on me no medical bracelet and was 15 minutes from home. could barely see or stand. f****ing scary i tell you i thought i was going to die.
flagged someone down in a car and thank the lord they took me home.
now i will never walk the dog without my phone or my bag with my carton of apple juice in and i always always check my blood before going walking.
honestly you really dont want to end up in a situation like that, no nagging but honestly it could be your life <3

faeoj

I have learnt my lesson! im usually a stifler for it myself but overestimated my lunch I think! iv restocked my dextrose and although I hate the stuff Iv got a couple of bottles of lucozade in the back of my car! thanks for your help [BLACK HEART SUIT]