Lowering blood sugar levels

MAK59

My 84 year old mother is type 2 diabetic, controls with tablets and diet not able to be very active. Her blood sugar needs to be 3 to enable her to have cataract op in 2 weeks. A small lady who eats sparingly but her level is at 10 on last check. Wonder if her diet is not as good as she thinks. Any ideas on how we can help her get this down. Any recipes for 1 out there we could give her to help her balance her diet better. Thank you

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello

Lots of people here follow a low carbohydrate diet. With good results.

To get to 3 from 10 sounds like a large drop to me.

Could you give us some idea of things she likes to eat and I'm sure you will get some suggestions to help.

Cara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
MAK59 said:
Her blood sugar needs to be 3 to enable her to have cataract op in 2 weeks.

I take it that not many of us regulars will qualify for a cataract operation soon.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Has ayone explained why they think Blood glucose should be 3 for a cataract operation?
It seems like a very low figure to me. I'd say it would be very difficult to ahieve on diet and tablets: even on a low carb diet.
Hana

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I had a cataract operation 2 years ago I am type 2 diet and exercise controlled and no one queried my blood sugar.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Like the others I'm very surprised by the target of 3 for the operation. This is effectively the level at which hypos start and no operation should be carried out if there is a risk of hypo. I think you need to query this number. Normally you would aim for a minimum of 5 which is the figure below which the DVLA says you mustn't drive. If you can let us know her current meal plans then we can suggest improvements. Things to avoid or cut down include anything made from refined white flour and anything with added sugar.

Fraddycat

A very rapid drop in Blood Sugar, like 10 down to 3 can be very detrimental to your eyes, and can cause retinopathy. I would not recommend this and like others have suggested would verify this number with her doctor.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It's simply got to be an error or misconstrued! I've had major surgery and they wanted me below 10mmol...well the ****** sliding scale made sure it was actually well above 10mmol when they did it but it still went ahead all the same...I've heard of 5 to drive,fours the floor but never 3 for surgeryeee ! :think:

MAK59

Thank you for all the useful information. I will certainly question the low 3 that they are asking for. This week mum is keeping a food diary so i'l let you know her diet as it is now. All the nurse advised was to cut something out!! Mum eats 3 small meals a day if cuts down anymore will be nothing left of her. So it must be what she's eating all the hidden sugars in foods. I'l look out some low carb recipes that all simple for her to make. Thank you again everyone.