Lowering Medtronic 670 s Ideal bsl of 6.6

Leeannea

Type of diabetes
LADA
Hi. I’m thinking of going on Medtronic 670 but its ideal bsl on auto of 6.6 would probably result in raising my HbA1C, not improving it. Is there any way to lower the auto bsl target?
Thanks. Leeanne

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know about the 670G, but on the 640G with cgm I entered my target as 6 - 8 and an alert appeared saying this was outwith normal levels, but was possible. Hopefully the 670G is similar, as my upper level is 8, due to my insulin sensitivity and being prone to hypos.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi. I’m thinking of going on Medtronic 670 but its ideal bsl on auto of 6.6 would probably result in raising my HbA1C, not improving it. Is there any way to lower the auto bsl target?
Thanks. Leeanne
No there's not. The 670G has a hard target glucose level (as that's what was proven safe during all the trials that Medtronic have done).

bambee3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Avocado, Olives, Prunes,
As per dancer, I use the 640g pump and my targets are set at 6-6. You just override the alert about it being outside the normal values.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just a note for all those using the 640G - the 670G is a very different beast, and the target glucose is related to the artificial pancreas functionality, so while the target glucose can be adjusted on the 640G, it can't on the 670G. @bambee3

When "Automode" is enabled, the system targets a sensor glucose level of 6.6mmol/l and adjusts insulin to try and achieve this.

This cannot be changed, mainly because the only tests that Medtronic did for approval used a target of 6.6mmol/l, which is consistent with an Hba1C of 6.5%.

@dancer - the result of this is that it aims to keep you at 6.6 precisely, which, even if you are Hypo unaware, is not going to cause too many issues as the dosing algo is very conservative.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a note for all those using the 640G - the 670G is a very different beast, and the target glucose is related to the artificial pancreas functionality, so while the target glucose can be adjusted on the 640G, it can't on the 670G. @bambee3

When "Automode" is enabled, the system targets a sensor glucose level of 6.6mmol/l and adjusts insulin to try and achieve this.

This cannot be changed, mainly because the only tests that Medtronic did for approval used a target of 6.6mmol/l, which is consistent with an Hba1C of 6.5%.

@dancer - the result of this is that it aims to keep you at 6.6 precisely, which, even if you are Hypo unaware, is not going to cause too many issues as the dosing algo is very conservative.
Thank you, that's good to know