lowest hba1c after low carbing

smitha

Hi All
Would just like to share my news. I stopped taking medication (4x500mg metformin per day) after 3 months of treatment. I was sick of feeling like **** everyday!!! After reading about low carbs on this site, I decided to give it a go. That was 12 weeks ago and Im pleased to say that my hba1c this week was 6.5!!! Amazing. PReviously it was 7.1 on meds. I hardly feel like IVe changed my diet too much. Yeah, ofcourse there are changes, but its not as bad as I first feared!!! I live by the 80/20 rule, which seems to work for me.
Im not back at the gym yet, my 9month old keeps me fit enough!!!! The bread I eat (only at breakfast) is 50/50 crust away. I have also discovered Morrsions frozen chocolate eclaris, which are low in carbs too. Great with that afternoon cup of tea.
Thanks for all of your great hints and tips on this site!!
What is a "normal" hba1c range for non diabetics?

A very pleased with herself smita!!! :mrgreen:

Trinkwasser

fasteddie said:
Hi smitha

Thanks for sharing your good news. The answer to your question a non diabetic HbA1c is in the fours. Your HbA1c without meds is a great achievement so very well done. You may with a further reduction in carbs. or a better exercise regime get close to the holy grail of a non diabetic HbA1c. It is a shame the metformin had to go as it can reduce the HbA1c by 1.5% that may take you to 5. A figure very few achieve, have you tried the slow release metformin, many find it more tolerable.

Very well done and keep giving us the good news and motivation.

Have a great weekend, Eddie

Agreed, also saving the bread for the evening may further improve things as we mostly have higher insulin resistance and are most carb-sensitive in the morning

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

Just a nit pick, many of us achieve membership of the 5% Club. OK not many as a percentage of all diabetics, I believe average A1c in the UK is barely out of double figures. But even some Type 1s can approach normal numbers.