lows

bedshaped2000

i consider being experienced now im in my fourth year but i stll get confused after readings. After a certain foods are test very well within a hour and then dropp to almost hypo land about 2 hrs after. does tis mean my insulin is over compensating the sugars. it only happen with certain foods like apples, pears, miny milk icecream, even the odd chunk of dairymilk . but if i have coniderable veg say chicken , brocoli,cauliflower, cabbage and suede (i have this about 4 times a week) i read on the meter around 5.8 1,2 and 3 hours after.

Juliette40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate slow drivers!
bedshaped2000 said:
After a certain foods are test very well within a hour and then dropp to almost hypo land about 2 hrs after. does tis mean my insulin is over compensating the sugars. it only happen with certain foods like apples, pears, miny milk icecream, even the odd chunk of dairymilk . but if i have coniderable veg say chicken , brocoli,cauliflower, cabbage and suede (i have this about 4 times a week) i read on the meter around 5.8 1,2 and 3 hours after.

Hey there!

It sounds to me like you need some help with working out the GI (glycemic Index) of foods. This will tell you how quickly or slowly the sugars in the food are absorbed by the body. Some foods, especially fruits, are absorbed quickly (they have a high GI) so your blood sugars will peak sooner but then subside quickly too. Complex starches, such as porridge, wholemeal bread, brown rice etc (low GI foods) take longer to get into your system but then trickle feed you with sugar over a long period of time. Eaten in combination, low and high GI foods have a balancing effect which is why sometimes certain foods may raise your sugar levels, but at other times have little effect. It depends on these combinations. With careful meal planning, this can work in your favour as it allows you to eat a small dessert so long as you have eaten some low GI foods too.

Your dietician or the internet should be able to provide you with lists of food GIs. I found the X-PERT diabetes programme particularly useful for this. Ask your GP or diabetic nurse to send you on this course. It is excellent and clarified a lot of points for me on the nature of diabetes, medication, diet and complications. It's also free!!

Hope this makes sense
Juliette x :wave: