Lunch ideas?

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I think bread is making me spike, now at home I could try and avoid this by injecting longer before eating but... At school I only get 15 minutes so I need to try and keep the timings closer. I need something that doesn't need reheating, is very quick to make. I tried sunflower bread and it was horrid. :nailbiting:
Any ideas?
Thanks x:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Difficult to answer as 15 mins isn't very long and like you I tend to inject ahead of the food. You could try a mixed bowl of salad with some basmati rice thrown in if you want carbs, alternatively try Rye Bread and see if this doesn't spike your bg as much, I've been buying it from Tesco's which is half Rye and half Wheat, so far so good and I'm always within my bg targets after eating.

You could also try soup in a Thermos flask.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have you tried "livlife" bread from waitrose? (and some morrisons) it sounds like many people find it much less spikey

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks guys. I tried having twenty minutes between jab and eat today as I'm off work. After two hours it had gone up to 9.2, three and a half it's 11.3. I had a ham sandwich, 33 g carbs, 3.5 units. It was 5.2 pre lunch. So I'm now not sure if its ratios or the bread? Argh! X

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the last two days I've had cauliflower, sprouts, cheese, ham, Brazil nuts, walnuts and grapes. About 12-14 g carbs. Yesterday I jabbed and ate, bs went up by about 5.
So today I had the same but had 25 minutes between bs was 6.3 pre, 7 after 1 hour and then 6.3 after 2 hours.
So I think I'm going to have to figure out 15 minutes between jab and eat. I'll have to speak to my boss, she's pretty good. Thanks got the replies guys. X