Lyxumia - Any Advice?

Davasutts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

I have just been switched onto Lyxumia to help the weight control whilst on Insulin (Levemir)

Has anyone got any tips on this, does it work, side effects etc...would love to know of any expereinces, i have to say i feel sick as a dog at the moment :(

Thanks
Dave

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
im on my 5thday feel like ****

shez

How are you both getting on with it now
I felt sick for the 1st few days but fine now not sure on weight loss but all my jeans are falling down sugars are down as well

Davasutts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Good to hear it's working, I had to stop it, gunna think about starting it up again soon as I have my sugars controlled well at the minute

shez

Hi did you start on half dose for 2 weeks 1st I did and I think that helped me tolerate it
Good luck if u restart it, I have also cut right back on carbs I think that may of helped as well

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I just started on this on saturday, so far not felt too bad, just feel like i have ate a 3 course meal after eating a slice of toast!! I was on victoza for nearly 2 years and hoping this works as good

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How are people getting on with this, I have just gone on the 20mg dose and i feel tired all the time, used to the not hungry feeling from victoza but i feel **** at the mo, not sure if its the increase in dose or mayybe i;m just run down lol.

shez

Hiya I have been on the 20 mg does for 2 weeks now apart from feeling sick at times ( not often) not eating as much not much has changed oh and dropping 2 clothes sizes since I started 4 weeks ago

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thats brill Shez :D

I lost about 18kg on victoza, put back on 8 when stopped it and hoping this time my weight will level out again as well as my readings :cool:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
1st time visitor here. After struggling to get my levels down into single figures ( usually 14 -20 ) using Metformin ,gliclazide, and 30 units of NonoMix 30 , I have moved onto Lyxumia earlier this week. No side effects so far. My levels have plummeted to the extent that on 3 occasions I've had to hit the " emergency jelly babies" as I dropped below 4.5 , even after backing off the NovaMix down to 10 units. So far happy as I've not had a reading above 9.5 all week .

Reactions: 2 people

jeff12

Hi I have been on Lyxumia now for about 3 months, did lose about 5kg and blood sugars well down.
I also take the usual tablets, to be honest my appetite seems to have returned and I have not lost any more weight. But have not gained any either. The only side effects seem to be a touch of Montezumas Revenge a couple of times a week but worth putting up with for the lower blood sugar levels.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On day 6 of Lyxumia. I feel head-spinningly nauseous for the first 6 hours of the day, then a cross between intense hunger pains and extreme fullness for the rest of the day. The tiredness kicks in at 8pm and I've been going to bed then, and getting 10 hours sleep but still tired.
Blood sugar levels haven't dropped as much as I expected - I wake at 9 - 10mmols, and the entire day is between 8 - 9 mmols. But I'm guessing that's better than my previous peaks and troughs.
Don't know about weight loss yet - but hope for some, seeing that I only seem to be able to manage a max of 800 calories a day (and that's on a good day).

I wasn't given a lot of other choices and wasn't really informed about Lyxumia until the day I went to initiate treatment. Despite being 34, female, and recently married, my Diabetic Nurse told me that I shouldn't get pregnant whilst on Lyxumia. I told her that we were actively trying to conceive and she told me I should forget about those plans and concentrate on my diabetes. I agreed to a 3 month trial, and she promptly told me that if the Lyxumia is successful then they won't be taking me off it.

So at best now, I'm sticking with the Lyxumia and all of it's vile side effects to see if it can help me lose weight, in the hope that weight loss will improve my insulin resistance and I can eventually come off it and get on with my life.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
An update on myself. After 2 weeks on the 10 units, I'm moving onto the 20 units pen today. With the exception of one day, no nausea or problems. BS readings usually between 6 and 11, and on most occasions around 7. Prior to moving onto Lyxumia I was averaging around 14 , peaking anywhere up to 22, and that was with 30 units of Novamix 30 twice a day. I've now successfully backed off the Novamix to 20 units twice a day, sometimes only 10 units. As for weight loss . I need to buy some scales, so no idea.

shez

Just an update HBA1C down from 11 to 7 and a 1.5 stone weight loss in 6 weeks so one happy girl and a very happy doctor

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
And here's my update after the first 4 weeks.

Side effects are still there, but not quite as pronounced. Weightloss has been slow - I've lost maybe 2 or 3 lbs, but am eating perhaps 50% of what I usually do (so I had hoped the weight would fly off).
Bloods are firmly between 4.5mmol and 7mmol. I am absolutely ecstatic and so is my Diabetic Nurse.

paul a carr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
my current job .sports .
Hi I was put on that it didn't work on me im on insulin now so much better no side affects get low blood sugars sometimes but it's a lot better