M.E./CFS and PCOS

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all,

I am prediabetic (just outside the diabetic levels) and I have M.E./CFS and PCOS. I know PCOS increases the risk of diabetes but not sure if there is a connection with M.E. also. With M.E. I can be fine one minute and no energy the next, I get headaches when my M.E. kicks in really badly too. I can sleep for 8-16 hours at a time and on occasion I can't sleep at all. The more I think about the more I wonder if there is a connection between the two.
I have read stories where the lifestyle change I am on has completely combated PCOS in others and I am hoping it will do the same for me but also hoping it will shift my M.E. too.
Does anyone else have M.E. - what are your experiences alongside pre/diabetes?

Thanks

Reactions: Serena51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm having a problem with your acronyms. What is ME? CFS?

But I just got an excellent summary of how PCOS relates to not only Diabetes but also many co-morbidities (stuff that goes along with) of Diabetes including Metabolic Syndrome (which is not inclusive of all the co-morbidities entitle:
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) – From Definition to Symptoms and Treatment

http://www.docsopinion.com/2017/03/27/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/

As far as lifestyle changes, some things that go beyond this article, like specific genetic testing and whether or not you are trying to get pregnant inform your lifestyle choices, sometimes dependant on the results of said testing.

That is an excellent article on pcos, thank you @Contralto

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. M.E. is Mualgic Ecephalopathy or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis as it was known as.

Nowadays they are considered the same thing but originally 2 seperate illnesses.

S

serenity648

CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, often also called ME = ME stands for myalgic encephalomyelitis. Myalgic means muscle aches or pains. Encephalomyelitis means inflammation of the brain and spinal cord.

I have ME. Controlling me blood sugar levels seems to be helping to even out my peaks and troughs.

Spoon theory - https://butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

the above is a brilliant explanation of ME/CFS in my opinion.

Reactions: Serena51

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Contralto.....some of this info i had not come across before. :)

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
EB is Epstein Barr...that i know of. Also called glandular fever. I had this in 2006 it took weeks to diagnose by which time i was in hospital on 2 drips cos i couldnt keep anything down.

Have a look at this link regarding CFS it might help. No tests just things a doctor looks for.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-fatigue-syndrome/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

Mine was diagnosed 3 months later. I was off work for a while. No energy slept 16-18 hrs....or didnt sleep at all for days. Headaches and back aches. I couldnt focus or concentrate i would struggle to remember what i had done 3hrs ago. Any bug going i would get it plus a sore throat....within half day i would lose my voice. Thankfully it has got better but i am still not 100% unlikely i ever will be. I am lucky though...many woth CFS/M.E. are bed bound.

Hope this helps.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

But I just got an excellent summary of how PCOS relates to not only Diabetes but also many co-morbidities (stuff that goes along with) of Diabetes including Metabolic Syndrome (which is not inclusive of all the co-morbidities) entitled:

As far as lifestyle changes, some things that go beyond this article, like specific genetic testing and whether or not you are trying to get pregnant inform your lifestyle choices, sometimes dependant on the results of said testing.
An excellent post.
The adrenal gland shares the 40-50% of testosterone produced in the body, with the ovaries!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think its about time insulin resistance had its own nhs department!
Its own early detection blood tests and specific management with targetted treatments.
Metformin alone, isn't enough!

Reactions: Sam5350

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Fairly low inflammation is what my blood tests are coming back about my pelvis and back @debrasue . So pain not from inflammation. I'm on tramadol, nothing more. Cardiologist said again yesterday NO to naproxen even thou given lansoprazol for tummy. I wasn't aware I had a tummy problem. :banghead:
So the pain is from somewhere other than inflammation!

S

serenity648

EB is Epstein Barr...that i know of. Also called glandular fever. I had this in 2006 it took weeks to diagnose by which time i was in hospital on 2 drips cos i couldnt keep anything down.

Have a look at this link regarding CFS it might help. No tests just things a doctor looks for.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-fatigue-syndrome/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

Mine was diagnosed 3 months later. I was off work for a while. No energy slept 16-18 hrs....or didnt sleep at all for days. Headaches and back aches. I couldnt focus or concentrate i would struggle to remember what i had done 3hrs ago. Any bug going i would get it plus a sore throat....within half day i would lose my voice. Thankfully it has got better but i am still not 100% unlikely i ever will be. I am lucky though...many woth CFS/M.E. are bed bound.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I was diagnosed years ago, from my symptoms. It was after I had Glandular Fever. I was told there was no blood test available.

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There are blood tests to prove it isn't anything else, that's what they did with me, tested for everything else to rule them out then eventually diagnosed M.E.

S

serenity648

There are blood tests to prove it isn't anything else, that's what they did with me, tested for everything else to rule them out then eventually diagnosed M.E.
Thank you. Yes, they tested me for lots of things too.

S

serenity648

But I just got an excellent summary of how PCOS relates to not only Diabetes but also many co-morbidities (stuff that goes along with) of Diabetes including Metabolic Syndrome (which is not inclusive of all the co-morbidities) entitled:

Thank you for this. I am pretty sure I have PCOS too, but it hasnt been diagnosed. I will mention it next time I see the doctor.

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed for PCOS in 2001 blood tests and sonogram. The sonogram was fascinating got to see my ovaries lol.

Sam5350

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lol not often you get to see inside yourself ha ha