Macadamia Madness

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
as we all may (or may not, if you're been asleep) know - I love my macadamias, thanks in no short order to advice from the crew of the good ship diabetes.co.uk/forum ;)

they're fab ...

anyhow, what is their carb content, I've seen it vary from supplier to supplier, but the oddest difference was todays numbers:

values given per 100grams to avoid confusion

tescos plain whole foods macadamia nuts = 13.8grams (ows = 4.6)
sainsburys salted macadamia nuts = 4.8grams (ows 4)

understanding that cooking can change the value of a food and its various constituent parts, but

* EEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHH???????????? *

why such a vast difference?

I prefer the salty ones, keeps my savoury desires at bay ... but that truly is a huge difference in value.

I'm assuming it's netted carb values as with most (if not all) UK nutritional information policies

any clue?

and I've searched various low-carbing and diet sites, all with different carb values - but falling between the two noted above.

Cheeers in advance for any light shedding ability you may have :)

J/xxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
As far as I am aware Macadamias are nealy carb free, wich is why the South Beach diet allows them

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Jem,
Stick with the Sainsburys half a pack at 1.4g carbs can't do much harm, unless as I suspect your eating them by the bucket full :shock: :shock:

Cheers Graham

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I am in love most tender with the sainsbury's ones ... salty goodness ... (imagine said in a Homer voice) and I'm not talking about the Iliad guy, the other one, y'know, from Springfield ...

bucketfuls? not quite ... although a packet every other day might seem extreme to some, it helps ward off any risky moments where ill-advised carb-ness might be ingested ;)

just wondered really if Sainsbury's had got it wrong and tesco had it right - was a tad concerned ... although they have zero impact upon my BGs and will be taken on every outing I plan to have - forever!

J~x

Jem

Dislikes
I do enjoy a meander around my local Julian GRaves, however they are sadly lacking in anything remotely resembling a macadamia nut as at yesterday afternoon, they keep selling out! They do some lovely African Salted Macadamia snack packs too ;) can't remember the carb count though, ate 'em weeks ago now! xx

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Goods news Jem you can by them online at Julian Graves.
Bad news Jem 13.8 carbs per 100g

Jem said:
I do enjoy a meander around my local Julian GRaves, however they are sadly lacking in anything remotely resembling a macadamia nut as at yesterday afternoon, they keep selling out! They do some lovely African Salted Macadamia snack packs too ;) can't remember the carb count though, ate 'em weeks ago now! xx

Jem

Dislikes
In which case ~ I will stick to the salted sainsburys macanuts (no heather mills japes please) at 4.8 carbs then ... I choose to labour under the assumption that the Sainsburys boffins did their mathematics correctly ... and if they didn't, then gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr ... thanks!

Jem

Dislikes
oh - I kinda like pine nuts too ... didn't know that til just now, bought some raw, toasted and salted them earlier and just tried a handful - my word! yummety!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lidl have Macadamias, almonds and pine nuts at great prices. I occasionally bhy dried apricots too.

Jem

Dislikes
sadly - we don't have a lidl ~ but we DO have an Aldi, although last time I checked there were no macanuts nor pine nuts ... :( defo worth a double check :)

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
sugarless sue said:
No one sells macs where I live!I feel deprived.

I got mine in Tescos

Lidl have Macadamias, almonds and pine nuts at great prices.
I prefer small prices.

Jem

Dislikes
what shops do you have Sue?

I did buy some macanuts from flourbin when I ordered my gluten powder ~ the p&p charge is pretty high, but if you're doing abig order, it's defo worth it ... the macanuts at that site weren't overlypriced ... although the nicest ones come from Sainsburys ... do you live in the catchment area for tesco or sainsbury or ocado online shopping? that way you could combine the order with your grocery shopping and the delivery charge wouldn't seem so steep ...

failing that, I will buy some for you at sainsburys and post them ... can't have my witchy friend goes macaless!

xoxox

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Cheers Jem,we have coop ,somerfield and costcutter,none of which have macs.I will ask the boys to look out for them when they go into the city for shopping.

Jem

Dislikes
aha - the co-op here does them ... and I do recall (from memory mind, and that's a bit pants, what with my "condition" teehee) that they're fairtrade or something ... organic or blah ... anyhow, they might be lurking in the corner someplace, but seriously, worth checking for online delivery as tesco and sainsbury both do the nuts ... not the mutts ... and failing that >>> will post!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Cheers Jem I will recheck the dusty corners of the co-op.They definitely sell unsalted pistachios because I got some today but I couldn't see any macs.

Jem

Dislikes
you could also try pine nuts - if you cannot bear them plain (although they make a tasty addition to a salad and help up the protein) they take a minute to "toast" in a dry frying pan, or use a teaspoon of your choice of oil ... add a little salt (if that's your thing, very defo mine!) and they're FAB ...

graham64

Dislikes
What a shame Sue I'm sat here with my Macadamias and pint of Vodka. you don't know what your missing :lol: :lol: :lol:

sugarless sue said:
Cheers Jem I will recheck the dusty corners of the co-op.They definitely sell unsalted pistachios because I got some today but I couldn't see any macs.

Jem

Dislikes
pass the vodka love, I'm not ashamed to admit fandom to that also!!