magic wand needed

annettekp

My son has had a stomach bug since Thursday. Sickness and diahorea. We spent Thrusday night in hospital as his blood sugar was on the floor and he couldn't keep anything down. We thought he was a bit better today but no sick again. So its after midnight and I'm sitting up feeding him apple juice every half hour trying to keep get his blood sugar up. Its only at 2.5 now and with ketones at 0.8 its not good. Poor wee soul is tired and refusing to drink more than a few mouthfuls. Tried glucogel and was informed it was yukky (it is vile).

I'm so tired and so fed up of this. The other half has gone to bed with his alarm set for 3am so we can swap.

So a magic wand to wave and make things better would be good.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Anette

Sorry to hear that your son is poorly.

I wonder if you could try mixing some extra sugar into the apple juice without making it too unpleasant?

Robert

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Aww I wish I could send a fairy over, so that you can get some sleep, happy days eh.

lynnallan

How did you sort it in the end? What worked?

Hope your son is feeling better and you are managing to recover. It's always when the children get back to normal that it seems to hit the parents!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I do sympsthise and hope he's better now. I know getting enough fluid into non-diabetic 20month old grandson was a nightmare recently
Hana

annettekp

Hi

I kept meaning to update this but time just keeps running away from me!

What worked in the end was a trip to the children's hospital in Aberdeen (emergency ferry followed by air ambulance) and being on a drip for 2 days. He was admitted with a blood sugar level of 2.1 and a ketone level of 3.4.

The drip sorted everything within hours and meant he didn't have to eat so his stomach got a rest. His body just couldn't cope with such a prolonged period of sickness (vomiting lasted 6 days).

Let's hope we don't have to go through it again for a very long while.

Annette

shop

annettekp said:
Hi

I kept meaning to update this but time just keeps running away from me!

What worked in the end was a trip to the children's hospital in Aberdeen (emergency ferry followed by air ambulance) and being on a drip for 2 days. He was admitted with a blood sugar level of 2.1 and a ketone level of 3.4.

The drip sorted everything within hours and meant he didn't have to eat so his stomach got a rest. His body just couldn't cope with such a prolonged period of sickness (vomiting lasted 6 days).

Let's hope we don't have to go through it again for a very long while.

Annette

Oh Annette,

I am so glad he is better but sorry you, and he had such an ordeal. It is hard enough when yor child is ill but throw diabetes in to the equation and its a totally different ballgame. I think you diabetic parents are fantastic and wish I could wave a magic wand so that diabetes didn't touch children at all. Hope he and you keep well and dont have to go through anything like that for a very long time.

Best wishes,

Lucy xxx