magnesium deficiency

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am trying to research whether diabetes affects magnesium intake and whether a suppliment could benefit I am getting pins and needles and leg pains .Does any one know why the diabetes causes these things. I know it does but how and why? I have already asked about Vit b12 and had some helpful posts but not enough! Can anyone point me in the way of herbal and nutritional help for neureopathy .I have only been diagnosed since April bgs were 26 Doc said Imust have had db for quite a time but I didnt have the symptoms then.Any one know why ?,could the 5x metformin have anything to do with it eg some lack of vitamin or mineral.?Hope someone out there can help with my reasearch. Carol

Katharine

Dr Michael Eades has a blog and has given information about magnesium.

I have not been able to take the magnesium dose as recommended or anything like it (about 500mg daily) because of diarrhea.

I originally took it because magnesium is meant to improve smooth muscle spams and I thought it could help period pains. I don't know if it does not not because I just can't tolerate it.

goji

Hi Carol

First off, metformin can cause low B12 and low B12 can cause peripheral neuropathic symptoms like tingling and pins and needles. Did you get your B12 tested yet?

Some 'alternative' treatments for neuropathy are: Alpha Lipoic Acid and Benfotiamine (Vit B1 - the fat soluble version). You could try searching for these terms on the forum as there are quite a few threads.

veggienft

Some 'alternative' treatments for neuropathy are: Alpha Lipoic Acid........

Along the same line ......another good neuropathy supplement is carnisol. A tasty source is rosemary tea.

A close relative of mine experienced great relief topically with a mixture of witch hazel and aloe vera .........on the affected skin.

Last in the quiver would be Banana Boat sunburn spray. It's almost 1% lidocaine. Again, topically ......on the affected skin.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi goji .Do I have to ask for seperate blood tests for vit b12 and magnesium deficiency.Iam due to see DN in Feb and I will be asked to go for a blood test before I go .It would be good to know how these are before I buy any supliments.

maxell

It would be nice to check your serum levels of B-12 and magnesium. But for magnesium, I've read that the serum magnesium level might not be very trustworthy. I was told that to accurately measure magnesium, you need something called a "buccal smear test." What is that? Has anyone taken this to measure their magnesium?

Now, if you go to many blogs, they cite common statistics such as: 90% of diabetics have magnesium deficiency. I don't know exactly where those stats came from if we can't even accurately measure the blood magnesium level. But thankfully, there doesn't seem to be much toxicidity to magnesium. The US RDA recommends around 430mg daily for men and 330mg for women.

I personally take 500mg of magnesium for my constipation. If you take magnesium before going to bed, it seems to induce bowel movement in the morning by increasing moisture in your colon.

carty said:
Hi goji .Do I have to ask for seperate blood tests for vit b12 and magnesium deficiency.Iam due to see DN in Feb and I will be asked to go for a blood test before I go .It would be good to know how these are before I buy any supliments.