majic meds.??????????

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
hi all
last week i started metformin and i must admit i was not to enthuisiastic (i have been told about the list of side affects as long as the m6 :( .
the starting dose was 1 x 500mg 1 before brecky along side the gliclazyde.
This week i am on 500mg formin @brecky and teatime . The only side affect i have had is the runs :oops: My levels seem to be in control now. The other week i had hypo'd threw the night and the morning .My carer phoned 999 and i was taken in a+e and later discharged . I went to my GP's and was put on metformin there and then . My hba1c 7 down from 9 .She mentioned i was over my honeymoon time. What did she mean? :lol: :lol:
JF.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I thought it was Type 1s who had a honeymoon period, rather than Type 2s. I'm interested to hear the answer, too.

Viv :)

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
It was maybe an offer viv :lol: :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi JF, I got a bit confused about the honeymoon period when I was first diagnosed, but as I understand it now it is a phenomenon that can affect T2's after they start insulin treatment and the initial insulin seems to kick start their pancreas into producing insulin again but it is short lived mainly under a year I believe but in this time T2's have to reduce the insulin they inject while their own pancreas is producing some insulin.

So it would seem that your doctor is as confused as we were/are, I also dont see why if the Glic has caused you to hypo why you should be prescribed Metformin in addition to your Glic as I would have thought that would make your bg drop lower.

Perhaps some one else may have a better insight into this???

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Hi folks
now i'm confused too. My tests were poor results pre bed test @ around 4 give or take .5 so i was having sugary drinks and going of to bed .My fasting levels no less than 6. Apart from the bad night .
Thanks any more advice is welcome. :D
JF.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The ' Honeymoon period ' refers to the fact that the Pancreas is still producing a little of it's own Insulin and then stops. This occurs in Type 1's. For a Type 2 to 'Honeymoon' the Pancreas would be packing up and Metformin and Gliclizide would not be sufficient to control the Diabetes.

I think someone has their wires crossed somewhere as you are obviously not at that stage yet JF ! :roll:

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Now i'm worried
everyone i've spoke to always asked me why i was'nt on metformin. It seems my treatment seems very different to other type 2's .
Sue am i possibly a type 1.5? She took all my tests and told me she was going on holiday for 2 weeks :(

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I don't know JF. This is something you need to discuss with the Doctor.

Your numbers seem too good however. You are not out of control and bringing down your levels bit by bit. If you were a Type 1.5 then you would not be controlling your levels so well.

Many Type 2's go onto Metformin first then Gliclizide, you just did it the other way round ! :D

The Metformin is obviously working and you may have to actually reduce the Gliclizide ( discuss with the doctor) if you keep hypoing. Also as you lose weight and therefore Insulin reistance then again you may need to review the dosage of your medications.

Can you phone the Health Centre and ask for your results ? Get them to give you all the numbers and write them down, don't let them get away with saying ' they are fine' !

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ref Met versus Glic, if you look at the NHS NICE Guidelines, they suggest to start with Metformin if you are the most common Type 2 i.e. probably overweight with insulin resistance. If you are not overweight etc it suggests Gliclazide as a possible alternative starter as Metformin helps with insulin resistance whereas Glic doesn't but prods the pancreas. I started with Met and probably should have started with Glic instead as I had been losing weight; it was added later. I've now been on Sitagliptin for a week as well and it's dropped my BS by about 2-3 points two hours after a meal; can it last!

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
I'm going to the DR's tommorow
So with a bit of luck . I shall have the answer then with a bit of luck. :lol: