Making the forum better

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Giverny, here is one for you ( wished to post in the slot 'Make the forum better', but it didn't work), so here goes:.

First I will say that I enjoy the forum tremendously and congratulate you and others on the excellent moderating.

I joined it shortly after diagnosis but had some 'shot-downs' with my first maybe not too well considered posts. (Didn't know better at the time). So I kind of shied away – but came back.

But there is one thing which I think could be better in this great forum: I often see polemics and misunderstandings arise because of different backgrounds of posters, especially with regard to the various strategies for T1s and T2s for coping (and maybe other types)?

Maybe you could ask posters to state their type – maybe in the left-hand column with their name - or in their signature? Or (with tongue in cheek) would this be an infringement on (whatever) ...

With all due respect, and
Best, annelise

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I noticed that you have not stated your type !!!!!

Reactions: 3 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
it been suggested many times, i guess folks dont want to, they dont want to

personally i never (or never purposly) try to advise t1s, but i suppose there would be an argument that you could get good advice from a different type and bad advice from the same type

also on thinking about it for example i know for a fact that there are some t1s with far more knowledge of t2 db than me so what would my type in my signature prove

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
The only reason to state type, for me at least, would be to know if I could answer the query or whatever. Like Andy, I have some knowledge of my own condition but none at all of T1, I wouldn't know where to start so if a question from a T1 is posted in any forum other than Type 1 Diabetes, it might be helpful to know where the questioner was coming from. :)

And yes, I have seen this mooted many times too but some people just hate labels! ;)

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
The big misunderstanding for me, is medicated or unmedicated T2. Advice is completely different as far as I can see.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem is that type 2 is so wide in range, so by saying I am type two what you really say is My diabetes isn't an autoimmune condition.

So it is either autoimmune, very rare condition, or all the other causes, mostly genetic.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
Problem is that type 2 is so wide in range, so by saying I am type two what you really say is My diabetes isn't an autoimmune condition.

So it is either autoimmune, very rare condition, or all the other causes, mostly genetic.
True but I am not on any medication so food just does what it does to me. T2s can be on various medications up to insulin I believe (could be wrong about that). So diet advice is different. Most diabetic cookbook recipes are like home brewed kryptonite to me.

Reactions: 8 people

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes
it been suggested many times, i guess folks dont want to, they dont want to

personally i never (or never purposly) try to advise t1s, but i suppose there would be an argument that you could get good advice from a different type and bad advice from the same type

also on thinking about it for example i know for a fact that there are some t1s with far more knowledge of t2 db than me so what would my type in my signature prove
Unfortunately some people don't seem to know the difference and just assume all advice is good.

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

However what ever our type , and there are many types , and differences we do give support to each other, just a hello and welcome is always nice ...we do that , and people do chat to each other whatever their type.....:)
So glad you are here annlise, because I am sure you have lots of information of value to say...
I often feel my knowledge is very limited just managing my own condition so I can only read what others share and in turn share my views and experiences ......best wishes Kat

K

Kat100

Giverny, here is one for you ( wished to post in the slot 'Make the forum better', but it didn't work), so here goes:.

First I will say that I enjoy the forum tremendously and congratulate you and others on the excellent moderating.

I joined it shortly after diagnosis but had some 'shot-downs' with my first maybe not too well considered posts. (Didn't know better at the time). So I kind of shied away – but came back.

But there is one thing which I think could be better in this great forum: I often see polemics and misunderstandings arise because of different backgrounds of posters, especially with regard to the various strategies for T1s and T2s for coping (and maybe other types)?

Maybe you could ask posters to state their type – maybe in the left-hand column with their name - or in their signature? Or (with tongue in cheek) would this be an infringement on (whatever) ...

With all due respect, and
Best, annelise
Welcome back x

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I noticed that you have not stated your type !!!!!
Below my signature at the bottom - has been there 'forever' - almost - if you cared to have a look... I don't know how to put in the column under my name. That would be for the administrators to open up for.

annelise

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it's really useful when people add a signature and also add info to their profile. Much of the advice for diabetics covers all types e.g. diet. Reducing the carbs is always a god start point and the degree of reduction is guided by your meter 'Eat to your meter'. Even on insulin if you don't control the carbs you may gain weight, so it's good general advice as long as people understand the implications. Yes, the management of insulin needs some knowledge of it; same for some of the more obscure diabetics types such as MODY. So, as long as the poster gives some idea of their condition then readers can decide where they can help

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the issue is probably the forum software which would be provided by a third party. Almost all forums have a thing called "rank" that is based on the number of posts you've made. The software will usually allow the text of the label to be changed, maybe even the number of posts to invoke the new rank, however, it will always be based on the number of posts made by the forum member and I doubt it would be able to be changed to something arbitrary like the type of diabetes that has no link to post count. Hope that makes sense; it's hard to describe.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Below my signature at the bottom - has been there 'forever' - almost - if you cared to have a look... I don't know how to put in the column under my name. That would be for the administrators to open up for.

annelise

Hi,

Can I just point out that the "signature" of the poster is not at the bottom if the reader is not signed in, thus easily missed if scrolling to the bottom & hitting the sighn in bar to post or add a comment....

See the unsigned in screenshot below...just trying to help clear up any missunderstanding on this thread regarding this issue..

image.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Can I just point out that the "signature" of the poster is not at the bottom if the reader is not signed in, thus easily missed if scrolling to the bottom & hitting the sighn in bar to post or add a comment....

See the unsigned in screenshot below...just trying to help clear up any missunderstanding on this thread regarding this issue..

View attachment 5433

I had no idea!
Thanks for that.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It might/might not make a difference having members type in their signature, for most people if it's a specific question they will post it in the relevant section, for example if I wanted to ask a question on insulin I would post it in the Type 1 section of the forum, but that's not to say that I wouldn't respect an answers from someone who is type 2 and on insulin, it's just seems logical to post it in the Type 1 section as all type 1's are on insulin.

Once you've been a member for some time you get to know which subjects to keep away from, but as Kat says earlier there's no harm in welcoming someone to the forum whatever type they are.

Reactions: 6 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with the OP. I think a couple of tick boxes when you join this site would be good and then that would add a few short sentences under your profile pic saying wether you a T1, T2 etc and either Pump, MDI, Tablets etc. I also like seeing a persons HBA1C because many times I read posts and that then causes me to look at their HBA1C. Having these key facts to the left will just be an easy and quick reference.

Diabetes falls under such a huge umbrella referring to many types and treatments. I dont discount anyones condition but sometimes I read stuff on this site and I question it and when I open their profile, I realise they T2 or something. A quick reference on the left would be great.