1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Managing healthy weight when you have an eating disorder

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by CosmicOwl, Feb 28, 2020.

1. CosmicOwl

CosmicOwl Type 1 · Member

Hi,

Sorry in advance for all the writing lol

I have recently been diagnosed with Bulimia and I’m also type 1. I recognise the risks these illnesses have together and am currently receiving therapy to help me with this, however despite being bulimic (insulin restriction specifically), I am a bit overweight according to BMI, and will gain more weight if I begin to inject properly and recover which will make me miserable and likely to relapse.

My question is does anyone have tips on how to lose weight in a healthy way, I’m really trying to be comfortable and confident in my body, but losing weight and maintaining a healthy BMI is also important with diabetes.

I find I gain very easily, my diet does consist of healthy home cooked foods and always has been that way, diabetes really seems to make it difficult to lose in a healthy way. I just want to be healthy at this point as I’m worried about my eyes and stuff...so anything will help!

I eat healthy foods when I do eat (working on eating more as I do restrict), I binge occasionally of course, but not as much as I used to, and I exercise but NOTHING shifts weight like insulin omission does. I want to find an alternative that really works so I stop harming my body!

Thank you!

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’m neither type 1 nor bulimic but didn’t want your question to go unanswered. There are type 1 in here who manage weight and bgl well so be reassured it is possible. I personally am an advocate of lower carb eating and as I understand it well informed use of this way of eating in a type 1 means a less extensive use of insulin. Hopefully the people who can offer actual useful comments will come along soon. (Or I’ll remember names to tag in!) but rest assured they are here. And it’s great that you are reaching out to address your difficulties. We all have them. They vary in nature but we all have our demons.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook