Managing healthy weight when you have an eating disorder

CosmicOwl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry in advance for all the writing lol

I have recently been diagnosed with Bulimia and I’m also type 1. I recognise the risks these illnesses have together and am currently receiving therapy to help me with this, however despite being bulimic (insulin restriction specifically), I am a bit overweight according to BMI, and will gain more weight if I begin to inject properly and recover which will make me miserable and likely to relapse.

My question is does anyone have tips on how to lose weight in a healthy way, I’m really trying to be comfortable and confident in my body, but losing weight and maintaining a healthy BMI is also important with diabetes.

I find I gain very easily, my diet does consist of healthy home cooked foods and always has been that way, diabetes really seems to make it difficult to lose in a healthy way. I just want to be healthy at this point as I’m worried about my eyes and stuff...so anything will help!

I eat healthy foods when I do eat (working on eating more as I do restrict), I binge occasionally of course, but not as much as I used to, and I exercise but NOTHING shifts weight like insulin omission does. I want to find an alternative that really works so I stop harming my body!

Thank you!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m neither type 1 nor bulimic but didn’t want your question to go unanswered. There are type 1 in here who manage weight and bgl well so be reassured it is possible. I personally am an advocate of lower carb eating and as I understand it well informed use of this way of eating in a type 1 means a less extensive use of insulin. Hopefully the people who can offer actual useful comments will come along soon. (Or I’ll remember names to tag in!) but rest assured they are here. And it’s great that you are reaching out to address your difficulties. We all have them. They vary in nature but we all have our demons.