Marathon and Type 2

BtonLee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

I was diagnosed in december type 2 and have been on a lchf diet ever since i am so far 19lbs lighter just through diet with another 63lbs to go to my target weight and I have been thinking of setting myself some goals.

Today is the Brighton Half Marathon and it got e thinking about doing a marathon or half of one and so i spoke to a runner friend of mine who assures me a year is more than enough time to train.

So my question is what do i need to look out for having type 2 when training and does anyone have any tips aswell, I want to walk and run obvs but also want to do Gym training too and maybe some free weights.

Thanks in Advance

BtonLee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply and advice
I am sure i can lose and still be fine but the testing and low impact is great thanks

Reactions: Looseboy

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hello all,

I was diagnosed in december type 2 and have been on a lchf diet ever since i am so far 19lbs lighter just through diet with another 63lbs to go to my target weight and I have been thinking of setting myself some goals.

Today is the Brighton Half Marathon and it got e thinking about doing a marathon or half of one and so i spoke to a runner friend of mine who assures me a year is more than enough time to train.

So my question is what do i need to look out for having type 2 when training and does anyone have any tips aswell, I want to walk and run obvs but also want to do Gym training too and maybe some free weights.

Thanks in Advance

Hi Lee,

First let me stress I am on basal and oral meds at he moment.

I am currently training for a 100km ultra marathon and also doing the stronglifts 5x5 regime

Before training I aim to place my BG between 7 and 9 mmol as an ideal starting point.

When I initially started running I would check my BG every km/mile. Now I only monitor every 5km.

If you take this method you can see and go back afterwards and trace how your BG reacts during your run taking into account your intensity etc.

For eg.

Start - 8.1
1km - 6.9 (10g Carbs - x2 Jelly Babies)
2km - 6.1
3km - 5.7 (10g Carbs - x2 Jelly Babies)
4km - 5.6
5km - 5.5
6km - 5.4
7km - 5.5
8km - 5.2 (10g Carbs - x2 Jelly Babies)
9km - 5.6
10km - 5.5

This was taken a few months back when I was still experimenting at 1 intervals.

You can see my initial drop is pretty steep but then as you can see I counteract this with carbs and take control of my BG around the ideal 5.5

Once you've run so your legs will continue to burn energy for a considerable amount of time and this can vary on type of training and intensity.

Try the method above when you've finished running also and try to make small adjustments as apposed to making assumptions to how your body and BG is going to react.

Also try the method using different intensities ie 5min/km or even 6min/km and see how your BG reacts.

In summary of my BG was between 7-9 at the start I wouldn't eat anything but I would carry a good supply of carbs and make the adjustments on route

Stronglifts 5x5 was suggested to me as weight training can negatively effect your cardio performance which I don't want and neither would you I'm guessing.

I've seen my core strength increase with little or no effect on my cardio output.

Swimming is perfect as stated previously too.

Good luck

Izzy

Reactions: 4 people

BtonLee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lee,

First let me stress I am on basal and oral meds at he moment.

I am currently training for a 100km ultra marathon and also doing the stronglifts 5x5 regime

Before training I aim to place my BG between 7 and 9 mmol as an ideal starting point.

When I initially started running I would check my BG every km/mile. Now I only monitor every 5km.

If you take this method you can see and go back afterwards and trace how your BG reacts during your run taking into account your intensity etc.

For eg.

Start - 8.1
1km - 6.9 (10g Carbs - x2 Jelly Babies)
2km - 6.1
3km - 5.7 (10g Carbs - x2 Jelly Babies)
4km - 5.6
5km - 5.5
6km - 5.4
7km - 5.5
8km - 5.2 (10g Carbs - x2 Jelly Babies)
9km - 5.6
10km - 5.5

This was taken a few months back when I was still experimenting at 1 intervals.

You can see my initial drop is pretty steep but then as you can see I counteract this with carbs and take control of my BG around the ideal 5.5

Once you've run so your legs will continue to burn energy for a considerable amount of time and this can vary on type of training and intensity.

Try the method above when you've finished running also and try to make small adjustments as apposed to making assumptions to how your body and BG is going to react.

Also try the method using different intensities ie 5min/km or even 6min/km and see how your BG reacts.

In summary of my BG was between 7-9 at the start I wouldn't eat anything but I would carry a good supply of carbs and make the adjustments on route

Stronglifts 5x5 was suggested to me as weight training can negatively effect your cardio performance which I don't want and neither would you I'm guessing.

I've seen my core strength increase with little or no effect on my cardio output.

Swimming is perfect as stated previously too.

Good luck

Izzy

Thank you Izzy i will try out your suggestions and the 5x5 too plus now i feel better about my shape i may go back to swimming too.

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thank you Izzy i will try out your suggestions and the 5x5 too plus now i feel better about my shape i may go back to swimming too.
No problems, there's an app for 5x5 for your phone, but if you search it online you can see the workouts they don't look much and when you first start and build confidence you will think it's not working, stick with it and you will see results and increase in core strength. I genuinely have.

All the best pal

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you seen the Couch to 5K programme
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
might be worth having a read. I can't vouch for its efficacy.. far too lazy.
Am doing this at the moment (just started week 3 this morning) and I'm finding it really, really good. My target is to do our village 5k race in August, so a long way from a half marathon, but I'm glad I started training for it so soon. Still at a very humble beginning stage, but going great guns!

Reactions: 4 people

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Runsweet.com also has some great tips for all distances and various sports also!

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
@IZ THE LEG END Thanks for all of the advice do you alternate 5x5 with your runs and 1 day off per week

My running is pretty intense at the minute.

My run days are

Tues, wed, Thursday, Sat, Sun

5x5

Mon, we'd, fri

My long run days are wed and sat

I run before my 5x5 on Wednesday and lighten my weights warm up

It says that you shouldn't do 5x5 after cardio but I don't wanna drop my run or the 5x5 so rule breaking a little lol

Hope this is what your looking for pal

Avalonsdad.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My running is pretty intense at the minute.

My run days are

Tues, wed, Thursday, Sat, Sun

5x5

Mon, we'd, fri

My long run days are wed and sat

I run before my 5x5 on Wednesday and lighten my weights warm up

It says that you shouldn't do 5x5 after cardio but I don't wanna drop my run or the 5x5 so rule breaking a little lol

Hope this is what your looking for pal
Hi iz,can I ask you what foods you are having directly after your LSRs or heavy runs? Also what does your daily meal plan look like when your doing a lot of mileage.....I do quite a bit of running on various surfaces mainly hilly,muddy trail and although I pretty much know the correct nutritious to have I'm not very good at portion sizes and wether to up it or down it depending on amount of effort,averaging about 40 mile a week.....thanks!

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hi iz,can I ask you what foods you are having directly after your LSRs or heavy runs? Also what does your daily meal plan look like when your doing a lot of mileage.....I do quite a bit of running on various surfaces mainly hilly,muddy trail and although I pretty much know the correct nutritious to have I'm not very good at portion sizes and wether to up it or down it depending on amount of effort,averaging about 40 mile a week.....thanks!
Hey, apologies I'm currently in Saudi with work so internet is hit and miss.

I monitor my bloods regularly during and after exercise and react accordingly to my levels... Depending on intensity, distance, ambient temperature and even my hydration levels I find play a huge part on how well my BG levels are maintained.

I always carry gels, sweets etc whilst running... I aim to elevate my BG to around 7-9 I prefer closer to 9 and then take control of it dropping over the first couple of km's...

Afterwards I will monitor my bloods, if say I've been in a 10k race I may have used a gel and over compensated to which once I stop running my sugars would increase... If I'm the opposite I just correct it slowly using small sweets such as jelly babies... Adrenaline etc can play funny games I find with BG levels and can be confused (for me anyway) with the sensations associated with a hypo.

After training I always drink a pure protein I use USN in the UK or GNC when in Saudi seems to have a very low carb content and is great for muscle repair...

My general diet plan at present is as follows:

06ce0fe55142c9a22186fd28bbe83767.jpg

Hope this is what your looking for and was some help...

Thing is you need to work out what works best for you as something that works for one may not for the next person...

LC and training are very difficult to mix but don't let it deter you will find the balance

Good luck

Izzy

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
I'm currently using the 'My Ascis' for my marathon training, builds you up very slowly from 0.5 of a mile and spends a long time conditioning. Highly recommend it. Just don't go too fast is about the best advice I can give. Its so easy to over train especially when its a novelty, been there done that, shin splints to show it. lol. Good luck! x

Reactions: 2 people

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat ( yeah...protein in general ..I'm screwed ) but I am eating it now. Mornings, studying, crowds, Phobias a-plenty including vomiting, flying, travel in general actual, crowds, the outside (lol)
No problems, there's an app for 5x5 for your phone, but if you search it online you can see the workouts they don't look much and when you first start and build confidence you will think it's not working, stick with it and you will see results and increase in core strength. I genuinely have.

All the best pal
Hello and please excuse my ignorance, what is 5x5? is it an important for distance running? I am working on a 0-marathon program right now, but the training is 100% running based, I'm at 10k right now and feel on my rest days I would like to be doing something else..

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hello and please excuse my ignorance, what is 5x5? is it an important for distance running? I am working on a 0-marathon program right now, but the training is 100% running based, I'm at 10k right now and feel on my rest days I would like to be doing something else..
Hey,

No excusing required good question!

My answer would be no this is purely from my own personal preference...

5x5 stronglifts there is an app and online so you can see but this is purely barbell work to increase core strength ie legs shoulders chest etc... It won't tone you up not increase your running distance...

You have to be careful with strength and definition training because I find if not monitored and adjusted correctly it can have an adverse effect on your running...

Try mixing your running up...

Trail runs are perfect for this... Throw some mud in dirty streams etc... Just makes it interesting I do a 10k route and at the end there is a natural spring you can cool down and get a drink at its like a reward!!!

Join a running club... I know friends who use fitmums and friends these are good but don't particularly cater for longer distance after 6 miles...

But most running clubs are approachable and not intimidating as you run in similar abilities and help each other out usually utilising a stronger runner who will push you along hill sprints and interval training is good...

Heart rate based training also can be good but you'd perhaps need some guidance and what zones etc to work in to increase distance.

But for me my favourite is pool work

All over body workout when swimming and you can always try running in the pool I do you feel a bit a of a boob the first time but then you realise there lots of people doing this... This promotes less pressure on your shins and legs but still gives you a good workout...

Post run I monitor my levels and also use pure protein supplement for muscle repair...

Right, sorry I waffled I just come in from a half marathon in Saudi!!! 30deg todaY ready for a shower and to be carried to dinner!!! Hahaha

Good luck hope this helped and didn't confuse you too much

Izzy

TracyC

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hey,

No excusing required good question!

My answer would be no this is purely from my own personal preference...

5x5 stronglifts there is an app and online so you can see but this is purely barbell work to increase core strength ie legs shoulders chest etc... It won't tone you up not increase your running distance...

You have to be careful with strength and definition training because I find if not monitored and adjusted correctly it can have an adverse effect on your running...

Try mixing your running up...

Trail runs are perfect for this... Throw some mud in dirty streams etc... Just makes it interesting I do a 10k route and at the end there is a natural spring you can cool down and get a drink at its like a reward!!!

Join a running club... I know friends who use fitmums and friends these are good but don't particularly cater for longer distance after 6 miles...

But most running clubs are approachable and not intimidating as you run in similar abilities and help each other out usually utilising a stronger runner who will push you along hill sprints and interval training is good...

Heart rate based training also can be good but you'd perhaps need some guidance and what zones etc to work in to increase distance.

But for me my favourite is pool work

All over body workout when swimming and you can always try running in the pool I do you feel a bit a of a boob the first time but then you realise there lots of people doing this... This promotes less pressure on your shins and legs but still gives you a good workout...

Post run I monitor my levels and also use pure protein supplement for muscle repair...

Right, sorry I waffled I just come in from a half marathon in Saudi!!! 30deg todaY ready for a shower and to be carried to dinner!!! Hahaha

Good luck hope this helped and didn't confuse you too much

Izzy
Hey thanks for taking the time to reply and so in-depth. I would certainly like to join a running club but I want to be faster first, I am so so slow, I'm sure my pace is some folks walking pace, and id feel like a bit of a tit lol. I don't run on roads up here, I live in the grounds of a castle and its all forest walks etc so its a dirt track I run on for the most part, or a mud track when it rains, which it frequently does ( its Scotland after all lol ) Swimming has never been a big love of mine but I think I might just give it a go, not been since I was a teenager! I don't think lifting weights would be for me so swimming might be a good alternative. Well done for the 1/2 you've just done!! and hope you have a fab dinner! x

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Hey thanks for taking the time to reply and so in-depth. I would certainly like to join a running club but I want to be faster first, I am so so slow, I'm sure my pace is some folks walking pace, and id feel like a bit of a tit lol. I don't run on roads up here, I live in the grounds of a castle and its all forest walks etc so its a dirt track I run on for the most part, or a mud track when it rains, which it frequently does ( its Scotland after all lol ) Swimming has never been a big love of mine but I think I might just give it a go, not been since I was a teenager! I don't think lifting weights would be for me so swimming might be a good alternative. Well done for the 1/2 you've just done!! and hope you have a fab dinner! x
No problems your more than welcome any time.

Don't be afraid of joining a running club... If your worried about your pace and confidence fitmums is definitely your best bet!!! And now!!! They offer group running in the following groups normally:

1 mile walking
2 mile walking
3 mile walking

1 mile running
2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 mile running groups...

They work to the slowest person to so basically if someone is faster they shepherd back to the rear and keep doing this... No one is made to feel inadequate and are pushed that extra to help you progress I believe your first 3 weeks are free and then it's about £30 for the year so good value...

Plus you make new running friends which will help you on race day too

Avalonsdad.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, apologies I'm currently in Saudi with work so internet is hit and miss.

I monitor my bloods regularly during and after exercise and react accordingly to my levels... Depending on intensity, distance, ambient temperature and even my hydration levels I find play a huge part on how well my BG levels are maintained.

I always carry gels, sweets etc whilst running... I aim to elevate my BG to around 7-9 I prefer closer to 9 and then take control of it dropping over the first couple of km's...

Afterwards I will monitor my bloods, if say I've been in a 10k race I may have used a gel and over compensated to which once I stop running my sugars would increase... If I'm the opposite I just correct it slowly using small sweets such as jelly babies... Adrenaline etc can play funny games I find with BG levels and can be confused (for me anyway) with the sensations associated with a hypo.

After training I always drink a pure protein I use USN in the UK or GNC when in Saudi seems to have a very low carb content and is great for muscle repair...

My general diet plan at present is as follows:

06ce0fe55142c9a22186fd28bbe83767.jpg

Hope this is what your looking for and was some help...

Thing is you need to work out what works best for you as something that works for one may not for the next person...

LC and training are very difficult to mix but don't let it deter you will find the balance

Good luck

Izzy
Thanks very much iz,much appreciated...I've been using my protein,whey protein( flavourless) and it has a low carb content and it's not a bad price with a discount code......I've been under the wether for almost a week now so haven't ran at all so chomping at the bit...good recovery time I suppose,I never really am running on completely fresh legs and this why I don't/can't follow them marathon plans or anything I just can't leave it and rest for long enough...unless I'm ill....don't even rest on holiday,first thing I pack is my running gear ;-)

DiabetesDestroyer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am runner, when I stopped I developed prediabetes and then diabetes. I have since lost 3 st 5 lbs through a very low calorie diet and returning to running. My HbA1c went from 49 to 35 and that was 1 stone ago! I have set myself a goal to run my 4th marathon and get 100 medals by the age of 50. I hope that this will keep the diabetes in remission x

IZ THE LEG END

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes!!!
Thanks very much iz,much appreciated...I've been using my protein,whey protein( flavourless) and it has a low carb content and it's not a bad price with a discount code......I've been under the wether for almost a week now so haven't ran at all so chomping at the bit...good recovery time I suppose,I never really am running on completely fresh legs and this why I don't/can't follow them marathon plans or anything I just can't leave it and rest for long enough...unless I'm ill....don't even rest on holiday,first thing I pack is my running gear ;-)
Your welcome, Hope your feeling better soon...

And all runners are usually guilty of that so your not alone I for one is the first person to don my running kit the day after a race!