Matcha green tea. Some questions answered.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I've had a few people on here ask me about Matcha green tea over the last coupe of weeks so here is a list of its REPUTED benefits pulled off the web:

Why drink matcha?

Matcha is very nutritious and holds an impressive ORAC score of over 1380. This high ORAC score demonstrates matcha's superior level of antioxidants, higher than blueberries and acai berries.

ORAC is a measure of antioxidant value. The USDA recommends 3,000- 5,000 ORAC units per day.

Studies have shown matcha to contain significant levels of:

Amino acids Beta-carotine Catechins Complex polysaccharides Flavonols Gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) Saponin Teanin Vitamin A Vitamin C Vitamin E

Impressively, matcha has been identified to be:

Antibacterial Antiviral possibly anti-fungal

Studies have confirmed consuming matcha can:

control high blood pressure control cholesterol be used as a natural diuretic reduce the risk of diabetes reduce physical and psychological stress improve mood and alertness boost the immune system reduce bad breath prevent tumor growth reduce strokes by 21% promotes the oxidation of fats improves metabolism stabilizes insulin prevent influenza prevent cataracts prevent glaucoma improves longevity by supporting anti-aging.

So why not give it a try, note you consume the whole ground leaf so it's very green in colour. However te taste i find similar to a strong t bag variety.

@myroomsadisco

Sunshine_Kisses

Love Matcha tea! They make it in a cafe near me and its frothy and yummy! :)

Diagnosed Type 2, 22nd Feb 2013
Hba1c 7.5
Three month trial of managing through diet & exercise.
Low carb, pescatarian
Trying various supplements!

Missolive28

Interesting, a significant portion of the original post was copied from my article on matcha and this is how I found this great site. (Not too happy about finding my copyrighted text without attribution though). I have been drinking matcha for several years and it has greatly improved my overall health. The various chemicals within almost provide an immediate 'feel good' effect, it must be the theanine in it. Theanine gives you that combination of alertness and focus without the jittery caffeine feeling coffee is known for.
Anyway, my mom and her family have all been greatly affected by diabetes. My great grandmother was a double amputee as a result of it. I will continue drinking matcha and strongly encourage my mom to consume it as well. There are several studies out there confirming matcha reduces the risk of diabetes. (Google scholar is a great place to research health studies). This post has encouraged me to do more research on how matcha affects those already diagnosed and I'll be sure to return and share my findings here. in the meantime, here is the link to the original information on the Health Benefits of Marcha. I hope it is ok for me to share the URL
http://hubpages.com/hub/Benefits-of-Matcha-powdered-green-tea

Wishing all of you wonderful health, Marisa / MissOlive

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like all wonderstuffs. Difficult to find. I source mine direct from China via Ebay (sealed. Not "loose"):)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought Matcha was Brazilian? They have it in H&B, and in good independent health/wholefood shops (which are likely to be cheaper). A brazilian friend told me not to bother with the bags, its got to be made from the loose stuff, in the cup and you drink it with a straw to filter out the leaves and other bits of debris - he was drinking one at the time and it looked like he had about a half inch thick layer of what looked like leaves and twigs floating in the top of his glass. yuk!

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting- I only drink green tea and love Matcha. I bought a small tin in a Asian supermarket a couple of weeks ago (spelling was Maccha!!) and although it is expensive I found 1/4 flat teaspoon in a mug is really too much!! Very pleased to hear about all its good properties. I have to say I dislike Maccha latte which you can find in posh tea shops - it just tastes like hot milk - yuck

Talking about Yerba Mate - I have some green yerba mate tea bags which are lovely as well!!

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Matcha comes mainly from China and surrounding countries.
Dont use roo much in your brew as it can get powdery but I source mine sealed from China too.

Doris_4

Nice discussion going on here. Matcha green tea is a very effective green drink that is best known as cancer-fighter, a fat-burner, and much more. Matcha leaves other green teas far behind. I was surfing more about Matcha green tea and landed on this forum. Thanks admin and members.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Believe it or not,( and it tastes to me like chewing a geranium) there are similar suggested benefits to Earl Grey.

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I drink a green tea with matcha that I get from Costco. It tastes foul, IMO, but I add a little fresh lemon juice and I like it.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a green tea with matcha that I get from Costco. It tastes foul, IMO, but I add a little fresh lemon juice and I like it.
Seen that one but I drink green tea anyway and ther was only something like 5% and it was very expensive

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have recently bought some Super Matcha Tea from the BlueBirdCo.com

I got the starter kit including the matcha spoon and matcha whisk. I drink it with some soya milk added in a similar way to how they make in the BlueBird Tea shop in Tunbridge Wells. They seem to be making a big thing about promoting matcha for its health benefits.

Matcha is supposed to contain a lot of anti-oxidants and be beneficial for diabetics and people with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Are people finding benefits from drinking matcha tea?

Mason85

I was told about 8 months ago I had type 2 and it was a huge wake up call, everything in me was saying time to make some changes and start living a much healthier live. It wasn't until this time that I know type 2 could be reversed and in affect be gone from my live, I alway thought if you have it thats it so I was delighted to hear this. My wives friend is very much into herbal things and she recommend I drink Matcha Green Tea and also Camomile Tea, both of these teas with healthier eating and so forth have made a really good difference.

Post edited by moderator to remove sales links.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Speedbird