Maybe something with diabetes?

fly_swimmer

Hello!! I am 25 years old.
I have hypothyroidism and I am on T4 50mcg.
I discovered that when I eat many carbs at lunch, I get in about 30 minutes tired and want to sleep. For instance eating a bowl of wholw wheat pasta with meat. I also discovered that when I eat the same meal after my workout (2 hours swimming in national competitive level) I do not feel tired.
Furthermore a breakfast consisted more of proteins do not cause me lethargy while a breakfast with goat's milk and oats cause lethargy.
I should add that I often get sleepy at car when I do not drive.
All the basic blood tests are normal apart from my total cholesterol which was 220 because of relatively high HDL.
What is your opinion because the whole this thing affects my swimming performance and my performance at work.
Thank you very much!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

At this stage, it could be anything! :)

I get sleepy from food intolerances, it could be that.
It could also be high blood glucose...
Or sleep disruption...

Sorry, but i think you would need to speak to your doc, to eliminate a few things before you draw any conclusions about blood glucose.

Hope that helps.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Because you do have the symptoms of thyroid, wether hypo or hyper.
It is similar symptoms of a diabetic.

I could go on and on a very long post about why carbs are bad for you, but it would be easier for me to refer you to the low carb forum. There you can pick and choose what to read and what to believe.

There is an undercurrent of new thinking that carb overloading for competitive sports people, is causing problems later in life. With thyroid and type 2 and recently RH becoming more prevalent with ex university trained athletes in all sports but especially long distance endurance sports.

Is there any particular reason why you have opted to post in the reactive hypoglycaemia forum? Or did you mean to just put the post on the open forum?

Last word, doing low carb correctly will increase your energy levels and the tiredness if your condition is controlled, you should feel better and your training and competitiveness should improve. The carbs do affect your imbalance created by your thyroid.

fly_swimmer

I posted here because I thought that there may be a connection with hypoglycaemia.
When I started looking at this, I thought that I had something like wheat intolerance because for some time my stomach would be distented like I was pregnant. I followed a strict gluten free diet, I felt better but later I discovered that I did something more as a protein diet because when I reintroduced gluten, I continued to feel much better and did not have much distention in my stomach. It was the carb content of the meal that could cause the distention, The days I eat many carbs I do not feel very good and I cannot sleep at night (like being restless). The days I eat them for dinner, I feel much better and it helps me to sleep easily.
My hypothyroidism is not Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I had elevated TSH (6.0) normal T4 and my T3 was 1 while the low limit is 0.9. Now T4 and T3 have the same values and TSH is 1.99 after taking medication.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok, I'm going to stick my neck out, even though it could be anything and only hospital tests can really diagnose RH.
Go to your doctor and ask him to do some easy blood tests and see if you can get a referral to an endocrinologist. Your Hba1c should be in the normal range.
Tell him you keep going hypo and you believe it is more than the thyroid.
You can also keep a food diary and get a monitor to keep a record.
These things will decide whether your GP believes it is more than thyroid.
Once he has referred you, you should get a prolonged oral glucose test. Just to see if you hypo after a carb load.
My advice is to greatly reduce your carbs. Read all the threads where you will find tips and hints on how to control blood glucose disorders like RH, it will also help your thyroid problems. Read the low carb forum for great recipes and ideas, the best way that suits you to eat to your tastes and habits!
Low carb works!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @fly_swimmer a lot of people feel better when they low carb.

I think you may be under-medicated for you thyroid. A TSH of 2 when medicated is usually too high and 50mcg is the usual starting dose. I was on 175 before I switched to NDT. Many of us want FT4 to be at the top of the range or even above range and FT3 in the upper part of the range in order to feel well.

Hypothyroidism and diabetes often come together, both diabetes type 1 and type 2 so keep a check on your blood glucose. A HbA1c test might be a good idea.

Wendolph

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm hypothyroid and my medication gets changed constantly. It needs testing every few months whereas some people are fine on the same does for life. I can't do any form of excersize no idea why. You will get worn out easily.
The only way to see if its your blood sugar levels is if you test at home but you'd need to test alot. Your blood sugar will drop anyway as being hypothyroid your body is working harder and also doesn't absorb as many nutrients and vitamins. After exercise (or before) you will need to eat to restore energy. Keep a food diary. Low carb, high protein is a really healthy way of eating no matter if you have a health condition or not. Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 2 people