Me Cataract Op Aaaarg.

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Four weeks ago I went into hopital as a day patient to have a cataract removed. Unfortunately my sugar levels that morning were above the acceptable cut off point of 15, which is considered the danger level as far as a cataract op is concerned.

Ironically 5 minutes before the patient transport arrived to run me home, I said to one of nurses... out of curiosity, would you mind checking my sugar level again, hah, it was down to 12.
We just looked at each other and smiled, we both knew I could have had the op that day after all, but it wasn't to be.

Another appointment date arrived and I attended the hospital yesterday Thursday 19-9-13.
I was driven there by Patient Transport as obviously I couldn't drive my mobility car there myself due to the nature of the half hour cataract removal op.

My reading before I left home was sitting at 10, still high, but within the cut off point for the op.
An hour later, 10am, after I'd arrived at the hospital, one of the nurses checked my reading, dash it, despite having nothing to eat yeserday morning the reading had gone up to 14.1....acceptable, but she'd like to see it lower.
Six hours later!!!! the reading was down to 10. So, lying on a trolley, I was rolled into the theatre.
A pair of eyes with a female voice above a surgical mask, chirpily greeted me at my right shoulder.
A male voice above my head was next to greet me, this was the consultant, who went on to explain the procedure, which did not include any reference to chirpy eyes still looking down on me at my right shoulder.

Face mask pushed on to my, well, face, snuggly covering my eye and, as Jimmy Young used to say on his Radio 2, day-time program, "orff we jolly well go"

I very quickly realized it was chirpy eyes doing the honours, with male voice, still at my head, offering advice and giving the occasional "that's it, well done", now move that bit slightly to the left and under there.

Blimey, no wonder old chirpy eye's eyes were chirpy, she was having target practice with my left eye acting as bull's eye.

This continued for a while until male voice began to quickly jibber away followed by chirpy eyes commenting, "yes, I can see that, yes".
Soon everything stopped while male voice started talking to me, "Mr Willie, unfortunately things have not gone quite as planned, we shall have to stop the operation". "This does happen occassionaly, but don't worry, I'm going to refer you a top eye surgeon in another hospital" I'll arrange an appointment for 8am tommorow morning. You'll have an over-night stay, perhaps two if all goes well however, please be prepared for a slightly longer stay.

By now, chirpy eyes is nowhere to be seen or heard, she's simply disappeared without even a chirpy croak of a goodbye.

1:20am. 20-9-13. I no longer can see with my left eye and in another six hours I'm off to a hospital I've never had the privilege of having an overnight stay, or two, or three or four or more.

I'm not going to bed in case I miss the early morning patient transport, I'm starving, I've a headache, I'm feeling a little bit nauseous, I can't find my distance specs and me left eye hurts......
Isn't life simply tickity-boo at times, folks.

willie.

dubzn1

All the best for today friend
You will be fine - I've had it done and it's quick and painless
Let us all know how you get on
Ashley

alohanicky2009

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish , bad manners,
All the best , I had both cataracts removed over ten years ago , and I was a young 32 years, the good news now is they can correct or improve your vision during the op ,as they use script lenses , it is painless , the most annoying is the protection dome put on your eye afterwards that you need to wear for a few hours , x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Good luck willie .
Do pop back and let us all know 'how' things went please :)

Have moved this topic into here for you .
Given the topic and discussion it will help others and offer support for you also :thumbup:

Anna .

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
NicolaB70, dubzn1, alohanicky2009. Thank you for taking time out to reply to my post. :clap:

Things kind of went haywire early last Friday morning before I attended the hospital
to have the (I've since discovered the name of the problem)....."Dropped Nucleus".

The eye is painful, I'm worn out, feeling nauseous and blimey, I feel I've aged ten years
over a couple of days.
I think I'm feeling decidedly rather sorry for myself. :D

Anyway, I'll need to ask you to excuse me for now, but I'll come back when the pain and
this horrible feeling passes and explain what happened.

Again thank you for your interest and kind words of support, they cheered me, they really did.

Anna, thank you for redirecting the post, I never thought of posting it in here.

Best wishes folks.
williw.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dropped nucleus, doesn't sound good, glad it didn't go off :D

Anyway, hope they manage to sort it all out OK in the end. My dad had both his eyes done after spending ten years plus in Saudi, made a big difference for him.

K

Kat100

Hi weewhillie.....sorry to hear you are having such a bad time....and still keeping a sense of humour going...
Wishing you all the best with your recovery....get getter soon.....best wishes Kat x

Westie2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Willie
Keep smiling, my mother had her cataract done three weeks ago and like you there were issues during surgery, which was stopped. The consultant came back from another site and re did the op. although she is still having some issues due to the stitches having to remain in place, she has started driving and is complaining that the sight is now at times better without any glasses.
So keep going it will improve it will just be rough for a while but improvement will occur. Good luck.

Janiept

Expert
So sorry to hear what you have been going through Willie. Take it easy and look after yourself.
Best wishes and hugs
Janie

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Willie. You've really been through the ringer with this. I'm so sorry it wasn't nice and straightforward for you. You seem to be doing a good job keeping your chin and your spirits up. I hope you have a speedy recovery. You are in my prayers. Make sure to take it easy and mind yourself. sending lots of love your way

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
hi willie aawwww I am sending you lots and lots of good wishes for your eye op.I know only too well what it feels like to have an eye operation, it can be so scary and, understandably, an anxious time.

Please let us know how it went and I hope your recovery is a speedy one and you are recovering well.

Thinking of you lots, with my very best wishes,

RRB x

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Do hope all is going well and that you will be back here on form soon. Missing your cheerful comments on your threads. Thinking of you.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wondered where you had got to !! hope things are getting better for you
CAROL