Meal replacement shakes (Myoplex vs Slimfast)

rob*

Hi all, i'm new here :)

I was diagnosed around 16 months ago now with Type 2, I'm 30 and currently prescribed 2x 500mg of Metformin each day, some days i only take 1x 500mg.

I've more recently been urging myself to loose weight, its beginning to effect me than it used to, i'm a company director i don't have much time and i sit down alot behind a PC for the most part of the Day.. I've just joined a Gym and started using Myoplex Original to replace my breakfast in the morning, while having a 400cal Dinner and roughly 600-800cal Tea.. Seems to be working ok but Myoplex is quite expensive compared to the likes of Slimfast.

After reading up on the Slimfast medical website here:

http://www.slimfast-medical.co.uk/slimfast%20and%20diabetes.html

It seems to go on about it being ok for Type 2's to try their shakes.. The whole reason why i went for Myoplex in the first place was the sugar content per 100g is around 1g which i thought would be perfect for a Diabetic diet ? After looking at the 50g per 100g of sugar in the Slimfast range specifically the Strawberry one below I'm confused as to how they can offer this as a diabetic weight loss solution ?

http://www.slimfast.co.uk/products/powder-shakes/w/wiki/Summer-Strawberry-Flavour-Powder.aspx?ProductID=4

Am i going stupid here or am i missing something and need to be educated more about my sugar intake ?? Please help. :***:

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not heard of Myoplex but I thought the pages on the Slimfast medical website were interesting.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hi Rob,

According to the Slimfast tin, there are 62g of total carbs per 100g, or 35g carb in one made-up 250ml shake. The sugar content does seem high, bt I don't find them over-sweet.

I'm trying Slimfast for a few weeks to get a good kick start on my next phase of weight loss, though I am an enthusiastic low-carber normally. It will be interesting to see if my BG readings improve with the restricted calories, or get worse with the extra carbs. I shall be posting about that elsewhere.

I've just tested to check, about 1.5hrs after a strawberry shake. I was 5.0 before it, I'm 5.2 after. So they don't appear to spike me.

My low-carb diet is in the Sticky Thread section on the Board Index - Viv's Modified Atkins Diet. It's really Atkins Induction, and it works for me. If you don't want to take your carbs so low, use a carb counter book and add in extra fresh carbs (veg and fruit preferably) until you reach the daily carb level you want. You can eat plenty of food, and you won't feel hungry.

Let us know how you go on, however you diet. We like to pick up tips.

Viv 8)