1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

meals and work

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by andyl, Sep 10, 2010.

1. andyl

andyl · Active Member

can anyone give some advice on what is the best food to take to work ,sometimes am inside the depot so thers a fridgeand mircowave but a lot of times am out in the wagon.Don,t like taking sandwiches all the time because of high carbs is there any hing else i could take, i also take fruit and snack bars.Any ideals please :(

2. gefmayhem

gefmayhem · Well-Known Member

I bought a Thermos brand lunch bag, its insulated to keep stuff cool.
    I roast meat, usually a lamb joint, on Sunday and take cold meat, cucumber and Sour cream and chive dip into work everyday.
    Plus I also make up sugar free jellies to take in.

Low carb and I can vary the meat, salady stuff and dip

3. andyl

andyl · Active Member

thank you for that

4. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

i am a lorry driver too and do mega hours. normally i take a packed salad with meats and pasta, greek total 100% yougurt, a pear, a apple packett of pom bear crisps and aginger nut biscuit and some jelly babies just in case. thats with 2 cans of coke zero and loads of water. i have done this regime for the last year and have got my bgs right down. i space it out like this-

5.00pm evening meal then off to work

7.45pm greek yougurt strawberrys and seeds

10.00pm small pear

0030 chicken salad pasta or maybe the crisps instead of the pasta but because the pasta slow relaeases it keeps me going longer

3.30 apple

5.30 small biscuit before bed

i also keeps a few jelly babies and another biscuit and always keep money with me just in case i get suck out or run out of hours.

5. andyl

andyl · Active Member

cheers for that, do you do any exerise.I try and do half an hour each day on the exerise bike if am home at a good time

6. bedshaped2000

bedshaped2000 · Well-Known Member

yeah i walk roughly 5 miles a day which works out at 1 hr 15 brisk walk 560 calories burnt. i have 2 circuits one is across the field for the summer and one on the street when its raining or winter. i also stepped up the regime by using wrist weights of 2kg on each wrist which doesnt seem much but you dont half feel it when you hit a hill. you also get funny looks aswell because the 2kg ones are very large and you look like an escaped prisoner. i find if i stop the exercise for a couple of days the bgs creep up in the morning. its hard work but in the middle of the night i was falling asleep on shift but when i exercise it makes me feel better and my vitality is much better no more lethargicness<<<<<<<<<<<if there is such a word

7. andyl

andyl · Active Member

cheers for that i try and do half an hour on exersise bike and at least 10 mins on light weights 5-6 days a week. But if i,ve had a long day at work say 14+ hours a don,t ,it just seems am always tired don,t know if its work or diabetes :?: :?:

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook