Measuring Blood Sugar

FoxyLady2000

Hello there
I am new to the forum. I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes a month ago and I have been trying hard and struggling in managing my sugars since then. Some days I am doing well and some days I am having problems. I am told to keep fasting blood sugars below 5.6 and after meal (@ 1 hr) ones below 7.8. However, this sounds easier said than done. The dietitian definitely wants me to have carbohydrates for the baby and they want me to put on weight but instead I lost 1 kg last week. I am trying to have porridge for breakfast and seems like when I mix it with an egg and when I take a walk right after the breakfast for 10-15mins then I am getting good results (e.g. 6.1) but I have a curious mind and I have made some extra measurements to see what is really happening with the blood sugars and found out that sometimes if I measure before 1hr cut off line I can have a higher measurement. For example this morning when I measured at 30mins after breakfast I got a measurement of 7.4 but then when I re-measured at 1 hour cut off line I got a measurement of 6.6. I guess this has something to do with the glycemic index of what I am having but saying that they have given me 7.8 as my upper limit, 7.4 is a rather high and risky measurement and I am not sure whether this can cause a problem for the baby. What I would like to ask is, which number should I be concentrating on? The number at the end of 1 hour i.e. 6.6 or the peak number, i.e. 7.4 because if I take the 6.6 then my blood sugar can be considered to be under control whereas if I take the peak number which is 7.4 then I am too close to the limit and I could be causing problems for the baby. I will very much appreciate your help please as I am finding the management of this condition really difficult in times like this.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I would think that if they've said 1 hour, that's the reading to take. Your bg will go up before it comes down, what you need is for it not to be going up and staying up, which you seem to be in control of.

I'm no expert on this. Have you had a look at the Gestational Diabetes forum to see what info is on there? In any case, I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows more than I do.

Viv :)

FoxyLady2000

Thank you very much for the answer Viv. In this case, it is not the peak that we are trying to find out when measuring at one hour.I thought we were trying to find out the peak and that is why I was confused.