Tablets (oral)
I wonder if this is true for organic meat ,without hormones

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bottom line: processed meat may cause inflammation. mice get inflammation when given the enzyme found in meat - not their natural diet. analyze the actual science and figures and size of experiments and its a load of rubbish.

How did we humans manage to live and breed for a millennia or two?

Reactions: rab5

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I respect the cause of vegetarians.

My mum has been a vegitarian for many years.. (30 odd years? ) At one point (10 of them towards the end.) she was a solid vegan..
But oddly, She was diagnosed with Altziemers. At the clinic they said her lifestyle (rarely drunk alcahol, never smoked. No meat. Usual suspects...) wasnt conducive to the condition..

Recently, I read Altziemers studied in autopsies on deceased patients has unveiled an "insulin resistance" in the brain... A sort of localised T2? It was dubbed "Type 3?" (It's been published in the news.)

Strangely she's back on the "bacon." (Her choice.) Which was when I started to notice (personally come to terms with.) her cognitive state. She still prefers too many carbs (IMO.) but in the last 6 years thus far, her Altziemers hasn't got any worse.. Maybe, just maybe we can hold onto the person we knew with a steak mushroom dinner...

Last edited:

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @Tannith, As others have pointed out the author has a bias and could be assumed to have picked articles that reinforced his argument. Funny that he has not mentioned fish, natural game etc. Or that crops of vegetables, pulses grains etc may have been subject to toxins (or rarely may be infested with toxin-producing bugs) or where does he, as a vegan get his essential vitamin B12 'dose' from. (some artificial or animal source !!)
Yes, it could be ideal perhaps if we could all be hunter-gatherers, but certainly my garden is too small for that !!
And if we were to believe all the animal experiments and how they relate to humans we would have enormous cages full of mice, ready for eating (and the cat would be the butler, footman, catcher all in one !!).
Ban hormone use in animals and animal products (e.g.eggs, milk ) by all means, and drive to the coast and fish (with mercury extraction treatment onsite maybe) ?
All I can really conclude is everything in moderation ! And avoid food that upsets you.
For example, I am intolerant of the A1 protein in milk, thus I use soy or A2 milk. I tend to eat small fish only (like sardines) = less risk of mercury accumulation'.
And a medical guru I heard many moons ago said the the biggest cause of AGEs (Advanced Glycation Endproducts - the sort of thing that leads to high HBA1Cs) is high blood sugar.

Reactions: Brunneria

Tannith

BANNED
I am interested in nutrition and sometimes come across an article I think might be of interest to forum members. As inflammation is a major cause of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis I thought members might be keen to avoid it.I personally am neither vegan nor even vegetarian and never would be - I like meat too much. But having read this, I intend to treat it like chocolate and other things I love, but are bad for me, and save it for high days and holidays. I hadn't heard of meat causing insulin resistance but this doesn't sound too good either. I don't think everything a person says is necessarily wrong, just because he is a vegan, any more than everything any of you say is wrong just because you are low carbers.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am interested in nutrition and sometimes come across an article I think might be of interest to forum members. As inflammation is a major cause of cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis I thought members might be keen to avoid it.I personally am neither vegan nor even vegetarian and never would be - I like meat too much. But having read this, I intend to treat it like chocolate and other things I love, but are bad for me, and save it for high days and holidays. I hadn't heard of meat causing insulin resistance but this doesn't sound too good either. I don't think everything a person says is necessarily wrong, just because he is a vegan, any more than everything any of you say is wrong just because you are low carbers.

Meat is an excellent source of protein and as we age our ability to metabolise protein diminishes. I just thought you ought to be aware of this fact if you weren't already.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think everything a person says is necessarily wrong, just because he is a vegan, any more than everything any of you say is wrong just because you are low carbers.
Sure, but when you hear of or read certain articles with a certain bias and a certain interesting interpretation of data, you are naturally skeptical of the latest offering from that direction.

also, if you re-read the responses, no-one has responded slating vegans in general, but specifically pointed to a well known info massager, who happens to be vegan and promote veganism. People have not claimed that this person is wrong due to his veganism.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Sure, but when you hear of or read certain articles with a certain bias and a certain interesting interpretation of data, you are naturally skeptical of the latest offering from that direction.

also, if you re-read the responses, no-one has responded slating vegans in general, but specifically pointed to a well known info massager, who happens to be vegan and promote veganism. People have not claimed that this person is wrong due to his veganism.
Even though he is.;) (joke)

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
because you are low carbers.

Well it didn't take long for the real reason behind the thread to be revealed.

You need to get over it. Continually starting threads to try and goad a response is rather silly.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do not think you have the right to characterize me as anything nor do I appreciate you doing so.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not helpful to make unquantified claims about any food being insulinogenic, and causing inflammation, and other harm without comparing that food with other foods.

In addition, there is a clear, well established relationship between hyperinsulinemia (insulin resistance) and inflammation (links available on request :) )

Of course, many foods provoke insulin release, not just meat, and not just starchy foods - especially in people with insulin resistance.

So here are some links comparing how insulinogenic different foods are:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin_index

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/03/30/food_insulin_index/

Edited for typo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeannea

Tannith

BANNED
As I said, I came across the article yesterday. I myself believe what he is saying about meat causing inflammation and shall heed his warning. I am just passing on the warning, you can take it or leave it but T2s are more at risk from cardiovascular disease than the rest of the population. I am sorry some people are taking offence about what I said about low carbers. What I meant was that you guys have researched your subject well because you follow that diet and similarly a vegan is likely to have followed research into veganism well, because that is his subject. I have no idea whether he is right or wrong. But for myself I shan't be taking any chances. As far as I know meat is not an essential part of a low carb diet so is in no way controversial on here. Don't shoot the messenger - I was only trying to give you the heads up.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The risk is that you will end up on a low fat, lower protein and low calorie diet. This does not sound like logic to me.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Strange "they" also say saturated fat and meat causes diabetes, yet many of us reverse on these very foods. My white blood cell count has gone so low, my surgery suspected cancer and did 3 back to back tests, low white cell count is indicative of low inflammation (https://www.virtahealth.com/reversediabetes), and in addition 0.5 trigs - so in my case I can say rubbish. I would guess that over 90% of the success stories on this site have a carnivore base (not disrespecting Vegans, Vegetarians or WFPB, just stating what I believe to be true). "They" should all read The Big Fat Surprise, answer questions on why their hypothesis does not play out in clinical trials or the real world.

Reactions: Guzzler

Tannith

BANNED
The risk is that you will end up on a low fat, lower protein and low calorie diet. This does not sound like logic to me.
I follow a generally low carb diet, (perhaps not quite as low as most people on here because I do not worry about below ground veg), because big white carbs and indeed big brown carbs are usually high in calories and I am trying to go low calorie. I shall now keep meat for special occasions and prefer fish, eggs and pulses as sources of protein. I do not propose to go vegan or even veggie as I enjoy meat and animal foods.

Reactions: zand

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I follow a generally low carb diet, (perhaps not quite as low as most people on here because I do not worry about below ground veg), because big white carbs and indeed big brown carbs are usually high in calories and I am trying to go low calorie. I shall now keep meat for special occasions and prefer fish, eggs and pulses as sources of protein. I do not propose to go vegan or even veggie as I enjoy meat and animal foods.

Then I strongly urge you to read the links I posted above, since beans, lentils and some fish are more insulinogenic than red and white meats.