Medic alert bracelets yay or nay!!!

Kpechad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being to c the diabetic nurse she handed me a leaflet for medical bracelets now I cant decide if I need or want one, I'm a very anxious person and at first it sounded like a good idea that if my worse fear came tru and I became unconscious people could c I am diabetic and seek help but then my husband said if he saw onw he wouldn't know what it ment and only health care professionals might know what they are so then I thought well what's the point? Help advise needed or shall I just bite the bullet get one to put my mind at ease or are they a waste of money

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There is always a risk that the bracelet may go unrecognized but most medics/first responders are taught to look out for them. There are some that look quite nice too !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I have one, well had one for Type 1 with the symbol on the front and TYPE 1 engraved on the back, a braclet. I had to remove it for an operation last year and I don't know where it got to? but if I still can't find it, I will get another one to replace it. Better safe than sorry :-D Take care.

simon.davies2

I bought mine for £2 off DUK , the only thing it says on it is "medical alert diabetic type 1 " . It may be a bit extreme but I'm thinking of getting a tattoo with same thing on my wrist !! Would you do the same ??!!

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I personally wouldn't have a tattoo, but there are many that have and are very pleased with the result. Good luck.

Kpechad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for advice guys I'm gunna get one I think found a nice one on a website called ice gems it was one of the leaflets the nurse gave me it's £40 :( tho but looks nice and modern
Tattoo!!! Not sure I'd go that far nothing against tattoos as I have a few just step one bracelet for me lol

Kpechad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol wish I hadn't started now iv just found more sites with cheaper ones so many to choose lol

Tyronnster

Attachments

• 1399912945858.jpg
    1399912945858.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 366

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I don't wear one ( I carry a card in my wallet) but would highly recommend that others do, anything that helps in a time of crisis has to be seen in a positive light.

JacHibbert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After being to c the diabetic nurse she handed me a leaflet for medical bracelets now I cant decide if I need or want one, I'm a very anxious person and at first it sounded like a good idea that if my worse fear came tru and I became unconscious people could c I am diabetic and seek help but then my husband said if he saw onw he wouldn't know what it ment and only health care professionals might know what they are so then I thought well what's the point? Help advise needed or shall I just bite the bullet get one to put my mind at ease or are they a waste of money

Hiya

I've had all sorts of IDs over the years and would definitely recommend Road ID. It's an American company but p&p is still reasonable. My ID has a bright red strap and has my name, DoB, Type 1 diabetic, allergies, husbands contact number. I particularly picked this website, as I cycle to and from work and could relate to their story. The web address is www.roadid.com if you're interested.

Kpechad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't wear one ( I carry a card in my wallet) but would highly recommend that others do, anything that helps in a time of crisis has to be seen in a positive light.
I thought about carrying a card but then I don't often take a bag out with me as I have two young children tend to put my bits in there changing bag and dowt people would look in there lol

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I thought about carrying a card but then I don't often take a bag out with me as I have two young children tend to put my bits in there changing bag and dowt people would look in there lol

True, your bag sounds like my wife's, everything in there apart from the kitchen sink :D

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I got one from Medic Alert years ago and have since upgraded to a 9ct hold one which is really nice. It shows all my important medical conditions and includes a telephone number and my membership number. All medical information was provided by myself and I pay an annual fee for this. Each year I'm asked to confirm if anything needs to be updated and I'm also provided with a card to carry in my purse. So you can either by something which says "I am diabetic" from some other site or pay more to ensure you get the best possible treatment in case of a real emergency.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
I got mine from ebay silicone(stretches ! I work work with special needs ) says type 1 insulin pymp(as Zi'm on a pump) lovely bright colours, that get noticed. Plus on my Iphone I have the ICE emergency app, which shows what's wrong with me and contact info, no need to unlock with a code. Just hit the home button and it all shos up.